587,129 active members*
3,042 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Can you laser cut lamination pouches?

Hello everyone

One of my main activities is plastic card production. I work with PVC and also with laminated weatherproof paper .

So the question is: Can I laser cut LAMINATION POUCHES? They are usually made from PET plastic (Polyethylene Terephthalate) and the softer inner layer is made out of EVA plastic (Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate). Yes, it says Vinyl. Is it dangerous for a laser machine?

The other material I use is a weatherproof paper called Igage, which is made from silica filler in polyolefin substrate. I have already asked them if their material can be laser cut but they haven't replied yet.

So the question has been placed. If anyone of you have experience in this subject I would really appreciate any info about it. And as soon as I get an answer from the suppliers I will let you know in this thread.

Thank you all again!

Salvatore Giha

Hello again.

I've got an email from the weatherproof paper I use to print cards. These are the components:
    Silica / Polyehtylene containing small amounts of calcium carbonate, titaniuem dioxide and trace oil. Contains <1ppm trichloroethylene. Alkid resin coating added to certain grades.
    One supplier for lamination pouches states they are made of Polyester. Another supplier says this pouches contain: PET/EVA & PET/PE/EVA.

Does anyone know if any of these materials are harmful for laser cutting machines?

Thanks!

Can you find MSD sheets on any of them, that will tell you if they produce harmful vapors when burned. Thats what the laser does it burns the material away.
    Quote Originally Posted by SalvatorePY View Post
    Hello again.

I've got an email from the weatherproof paper I use to print cards. These are the components:
    Silica / Polyehtylene containing small amounts of calcium carbonate, titaniuem dioxide and trace oil. Contains <1ppm trichloroethylene. Alkid resin coating added to certain grades.
    One supplier for lamination pouches states they are made of Polyester. Another supplier says this pouches contain: PET/EVA & PET/PE/EVA.

Does anyone know if any of these materials are harmful for laser cutting machines?

Thanks!