587,311 active members*
3,403 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

35 oz stepper?

I,m looking at purchasing an old minitech cnc machine and I noticed that the stepper motors are only 35oz, 5v,1amp,2oo per rev. Is this any good? And me being a newbie what exactly does ounce mean would that be similar to torque?

Cool

It is actually its 35 oz/in as in ounce/inches of torque.
    That is the same as 0.18228 lbs/foot torque

http://www.merkle-korff.com/formulas.asp#con

35 is a light duty stepper, but thats not saying much without knowing how it is being applied or used!

Hope this helps,
    Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Thanx eric, I want to mill small heat sinks for pc's out of copper 2x2x3/8 work piece. Think I need to upgrade these motors?

Copper is a gummy metal, it has a tendency to make the cutter grab and run!
    A light torque on the axis would limit you to multiple light cuts! Deeper cuts require a stronger stepper motor to keep the cutter on location!
    I would suggest a 200+ oz/in stepper, usually a NEMA-23 frame sized motor, but you did not specify the exsisting motor's frame size! If you are using NEMA-17 motors, I don't know the largest torque in that frame size!

Sounds like a fun project, have fun!
    Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Oh the motor well it has a dremel holder which I had plan to make a bracket for new motor and spindel. Yeah I figured 200 oz would be the size I would go with. Thanx again. May the Machine Gods smile upon you :-)