3,472 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Red Light Laser Origin Pointer???????

Hi again

ive now set up my K40 chinese laser with all the modern tools so far

DSP....PWN...etc etc

now just added AIR ASSIST..

but what i want to do is add a red light type of ORIGIN locater...

You know...we have all seen them

its like a red cross indicating the origin point of the laser head and where the engraving/cutting will start

is there anyone who is prepared to teach me and talk me through installing and setting up this ?????

like...what do i need to buy...where to connect it to...etc

Many thanks in advance

Hi
    That is not so easy.
    First you need to buy special optics called CO2 laser combiner for around 650-670nm aiming diode.
    Next you need red diode and mount.
    Best end easiest is to mount it straight on the laser "tube" - as most of you call it :-)
    Metal lasers like Synrad have mounting holes for.
    If you use chinese glass it is more difficult and it is better to mount separately.
    Regards
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

Where abouts are you in Australia Belin?

You can do this in 2 ways:

1. Mount the aiming laser directly on the cutting head. This is the simplest and cheapest option, however depending on what you do with your laser, might not be all that useful. Because the laser will be aiming down at an angle, the position of the red dot vs where the laser actually cuts will vary based on your material thickness/Z axis adjustment etc. So while it's good if you're just cutting the same thickness material all day every day, it's basically useless for everything else.

2. Using a combining optic and aligning the red laser in with the actual CO2 laser beam. This method is quite expensive and fiddly to set up, but it means that no matter your material thickness or Z axis height, the dot will always be where the laser will hit. It's more expensive because the optic needed is expensive, and you also need to come up with some sort of mount for it, as you'll need to be able to adjust it to align the beam. Lightobject is probably the cheapest place I've seen the optics, and I've dealt with Marco a lot and he's a great guy, many will say the same. http://www.lightobject.com/20mm-lase...iner-P765.aspx

You basically set that lens up so that your CO2 laser beam goes right through, then you bounce the red laser off at a 90 degree angle, and align it so it follows the exact same path as your CO2 laser.

You can get 5mW laser modules from eBay for a couple bucks, however, be aware that red laser diodes are actually case negative, so you'll want to somehow isolate the laser module from your lasers metal chassis/ground. If the laser modules body touches ground (anything grounded), there is a chance you'll destroy it. I did this by cutting out an acrylic mount for it, seeing as I needed a mount anyway, and it's non conductive. Just be careful you don't short out tools and stuff to it while you're doing adjustments!
    Build logs and other projects of mine: http://nqlasers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bec Weir View Post
    Where abouts are you in Australia Belin?
    wagga wagga area

of the red dot vs where the laser actually cuts will vary based on your material thickness/Z axis adjustment etc
    Shouldn't do Dan, the laser heads height to the surface of the material should always be the same. Some machines use twin red dots on the head for focussing (based on the bomb sight principle)

cheers

Dave

Hi Belin ,

We use leetro controller then we connect the red dot to 5V and G on controller . The red dot was fixed on a bracket which was assembled on laser head beside the air assist .With a adjustable screw it is easy to correct the red dot origin .Hope it makes you a good idea !

Best regards,
    XYZ Machinery

Quote Originally Posted by EXLASer View Post
    Hi Belin ,

We use leetro controller then we connect the red dot to 5V and G on controller . The red dot was fixed on a bracket which was assembled on laser head beside the air assist .With a adjustable screw it is easy to correct the red dot origin .Hope it makes you a good idea !

Best regards,
    XYZ Machinery
    Hot Damn

that is perfect...

just a simple mini laser thing connected to the laser head and spend a few minutes adjusting it to match the actually laser hit...

and very little costs..

that is certainly the way i will be going

im sure this simple idea has just helped many others

thank you

You are welcome ~
    It's my pleasure and share ideas together with you ~

Best regards ,
    XYZ Machinery

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    Some machines use twin red dots on the head for focussing (based on the bomb sight principle)
    I never thought of this before, but it's a fantastic idea.

Additionally, since your focal distance is a known variable, if you use an "adjustment block" to get your Z height right, your aiming dot will be bang on.

Spend time getting your focus correct and your cross aimed, and choose a reference point on the laser head assembly. Make a block that fits in the distance between your reference point and the surface of your work, and then when using materials of different thickness, set the block on top of your material and adjust your Z until it touches the reference point you chose earlier. Laser will be in focus, and your cross will be bang on!

Of course, the bomb sight method above takes care of focus, and positioning. I like it better than my idea!

calibrating the location should be easy as well. Get your focus squared away and then do a test fire on some scrap. Adjust your dots/cross so that they shine right on the burnt dot, and you'll have it set!

G'luck!

-C

Hiya C,

Lemme find some pictures

Works well and if there is enough distance between the diodes is very accurate Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diode.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	180662

cheers

Dave

Thanks for the photo! that's bloody brilliant!

Cheers!

-C