587,836 active members*
4,443 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > How many of you use the Office Mill?

How many of you use the Office Mill?

I was looking around for a used Office Mill to replace my Mini Mill (I'm looking for something that doesn't take up so much space but I can still use my programs). I can't find any available - did Haas actually sell many office mills? I've never even seen one around here.

Most threads here say "don't get the OM, get the mini" so I did and its been great, but it takes up a lot of room since I moved from a warehouse space to a small prototyping shop and I never use it for anything bigger than 12"x6" in aluminum anyway.

Anyone here want to "upsize"?

BTW - I have the 06 model where it has the LCD but the boom still hangs out as far as they did when they had CRTs. I re-located the control back near the enclosure like the new ones and gained quite a bit of working space! It was easy to relocate - I highly recommend it if you are short on space at the front of the machine.

The office mill would require all new tooling (ISO20) and many of your programs could not be used due to feed/speed/DOC parameters.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Yep, it looks like ISO20 tooling is pretty pricey.

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

I run a OM2 and love it. no way I would down grade to a mini mill.LOL

A Mini mill as a supplementary machine would be handy though. I know a few company's here that use a larger cnc VM and VF series and use the office mill for finishing their Molds.

It really is a totally different machine compared to the Mini Mill it does jobs
    the minimill would really struggle with and vice versa if you want to do larger type work and more metal removal etc the mini mill would be a better option. Th 30K spindle is fantastic for small intricate work. It is also perfect for small prototype work .
    I use mine for small moulds and do a lot of work that you normally would do with a EDM.
    The iso 20 tooling is a big jump in price but suits the machine very well as with this size holder it also runs a 20 tool carousel.

It is really more comparable to a DMG linear 20 type machine

I only wish they had a option for a higher Z Level height as it would be very handy with the 5th axis
    Cheers

Rob

Jump in

Gonna jump in here with a different angle. Just inherited a new OM2A('10 build year) in new job and am wondering if any users can tell me if you can use it manually very easily (assuming NO!) or at all with the door open. The plan is to use it for second op on small numbers (1-100) of cast parts in a very fast (<5 days) turnaround time frame, and the occasional odd contour milling op.
    I suggested a CNC bed mill for manual or 3 axis and is quick to set up with much broader tooling available w/cat40 (no drill chucks in ISO20). Another option is a knee mill for manual and a benchtop like a Minitech for CNC. Space is limited, access difficult. Thanks for any feedback!

There used to be setting (setting 52 i think...) to run the Haas mills with the door open, but I heard that it no longer works as of 2010 due to european regulations. I used to run mine with the door open until I vaporized a drill bit, now I like the "safety" of keeping it closed.

I've found that the single jog handle or arrow keys on the Haas is rather cumbersome if you are doing manual operations. My benchtop setup has manual coordinate entry works a lot better, but I still wish for 3 handles whenever I'm doing manual work on either CNC.

Doesn't look like you would get the tool changer with that bench top. I have a Taig 10krpm benchtop I use for some jobs, but I don't use it as much even though the Mini is only 6k because I like the tool changer on the Mini.

I'm currently using collets to hold my drills on both the benchtop and the MiniMill. The drill chuck adds a lot of length.

Are you near Denver?... you want to get rid of the OM?

-J

Thanks!

Hey, that was quick and helpful, awesome.
    As I suspected re: manual type ops, this is a single specific purpose machine for longer programs with several tools and no ability to run manual except for tool setting.
    I run dry with air blast or use the vegi oil mist. With carbides, flood coolant is mostly unnecessary and often damaging from thermal shock, so full enclosure and flood coolant are a hindrance to productivity in my mind, including coolant maintenance, cleaning/drying of parts/fixture, and access issues. Would you agree?
    I am trying to advise the company owner on the purposes of different machine tools to provide best benefit for the stated goal of the small shop, and the previous chap convinced him that the Office Mill would be a good second op machine for castings(the purpose), which I disagree completely with. You don't need a multi-tool changer-30K spindle machine that is limited to a 3/8 tool to drill/ream/tap/slot mill in a small number of small parts.
    Sorry about the rant, working on my case presentation I guess...
    Thanks again for the tip, we are in Raleigh, NC and will post up here if we do try to sell it (almost had him selling it two days ago and he backtracked so need more info for a diff machine/process)

Hi to all,
    Please I would know the price of the HAAS OM 1a or the HAAS OM 2a in the United States, the most basic configuration - 3 axis and ATC - no 4th axis or CAD CAM software.
    Best regards,
    Amedeo

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.