587,386 active members*
3,590 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Edgecam 2011R2

I got a link from my reseller about R2 and it seems it will have wave form roughing.
    According to a forum beta 2 is out, has anyone tried this new feature and can tell a me little bit more about this.
    How well does it work, does it include slightly lifting of the tool when not in cutting. I was at a seminar about gibbs and their peal milling cycle was really something to be jellouse of.

YouTube - Edgecam Wave Form Roughing

Here is a link to planit's webpages with some info on the R2 release.

Edgecam 2011 R2 What's New

Edgecam 2011r2

Edgecam 2011r2 is available to download now from the website

:cheers:

I have now installed it and the new feature wave form roughing is NOT in it. they did not get it working good enough according to Planit so for atleast a half year we have to watch this Video and dream of a better world or buy a better cam system.
    YouTube - ‪Edgecam Wave Form Roughing‬‏

Has anyone used both Gibbs CAM and also Edgecam?
    Is there anything better with Edgecam?

We will probably change Edgecam now if the price is affordable.

I've worked for both Edgecam and Gibbscam, both good software but I would stick with Edgecam.

Knowing first hand, Waveform was not even close to being able to compete with Volumill etc., I was pretty disappointed but I'm sure they will get it.

Has anybody found the web address to download 2011 edgecam?
    I have looked for it but couldn't find it.

Download link is inside planit customer portal so if you have a support areement you should be able to get an account there.

Maybe this should have its own thread but...

What is better in Edgecam? I have not tried Gibbs but most functions in Edge seem to work 70% at best. We destroy so many tools because edgecam can't compensate for cornering in roughing and the only solution edgecam support gives me is to lower overall speed and loose money or use trocoidal and loose money from 50% longer milling time.

Quote Originally Posted by tummen View Post
    Maybe this should have its own thread but...

What is better in Edgecam? I have not tried Gibbs but most functions in Edge seem to work 70% at best. We destroy so many tools because edgecam can't compensate for cornering in roughing and the only solution edgecam support gives me is to lower overall speed and loose money or use trocoidal and loose money from 50% longer milling time.
    Not sure where you get the 70% from.
    When you say edgecam can't compensate for cornering in roughing what exactly do you mean? Are you talking peripheral feed rates or just reducing the feed in the corners? Edgecam can do both.

I spend 90% of my day programming Ti6Al4V parts for light duty 5 axis machines which were bought primarily for aluminium machining. We have no issues with breaking tooling due to edgecam and we are running on the limit. I'd be interested to hear what sort of processes you're using and also where you're getting you cutting data from.

One thing I will say is that I program everything longhand, not using operations, but rather program with the individual cycles, this is the only way to go when you're looking at larger number/ongoing work and want to get the best out of your toolpaths.

The wave form toolpath does look bloody good!