587,427 active members*
7,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach2 & picstep

Hi,

I downloaded Mach2 v6.11L and have tried to run with a 1Ghz computer a CNC machine with picstep controller. Unfortunately, something strange is happening, after 3 or 4 or whatever, but not at the first, pass the machine is not following anymore the pathtool. It is not about loosing step. The machine has a strange behavior. The same machine with Kcam is working almost OK. On other hand the machine on jog under Mach2 is like a tractor with a lot of bum-dum. I must mention that the installation went OK, that OCX test was OK, and I have no errors message, and btw it runs under XP and the picstep is setup on 1/8.

Could you, please., let me know your opinions?

Thank you,

Zoltan

Hi Zoltan, I also noticed that with Picstep and Mach2 (v6.11N) the jogging was not very smooth, with Mach3 it is very smooth. I only used Mach2 to test my steppers and Picstep boards so I don't know about toolpath errors, with my current test XY table and Mach3 I don't have any so far.

Another difference other than the version, is that I use Mach3 in a separate 'minimalist' XP instalation. Look for the optimalisation text file at Mach2 yahoo group.
    Mach2 runs on my bloated 600 Mhz win2K at work, where I built the Picseps and Mach3 on my 1,47 Ghz laptop.

Hi,

Thank you for your comments. If I understood well, your recommendation is to go with Mach3 instead of Mach2, isn't it? I will download it and try.

Did you try picstep with other software controllers? If yes, what are the conclusion about the best partnership ?

Thank you again.

Zoltan

There's something that differs Mach2 and Mach3.... It'z the motor tuning section... I copied the same Velocity, Acceleration and Steps and seems it that Mach2 runs faster then Mach3... I am using Mach2 before Mach3 comes out, but I don't know how to transfer all the settings into Mach3 safely...

Quote Originally Posted by sunmix
    There's something that differs Mach2 and Mach3.... It'z the motor tuning section... I copied the same Velocity, Acceleration and Steps and seems it that Mach2 runs faster then Mach3... I am using Mach2 before Mach3 comes out, but I don't know how to transfer all the settings into Mach3 safely...

I'm just experiencing the same problem. The settings from Mach II do not directly transfer to Mach III. The motors run faster in Mach III even with the Mach II values....

I have not looked at this in detail but I'm pleased I'm not alone on this.

Hi,

I fixed the problem or at least at this point the machine is running fast, almost 5m/min (unbelievable) and relatively smooth. I followed the settings from optimization file which have been publicized on mach1mach2-cnc yahoo group forum. Let's what it happens next.

Zoltan

what's picstep and apic? has it got to do with the motherboard and system?

Sunmix,

Picstep is a 'Microstepping Stepper Controller' design from Alan Garfield.
    see http://www.fromorbit.com/index.php for details.

APIC refers to a motherboard feature / bios function
    A good write up is here :-
    http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed...C_Function.htm

Cheers

Santiniuk,

Thanks for the info. But how do I know if my motherboard has this apic function?
    I'm using XP, obviously.

So, if my motherboard has this apic function, do I have to run the non-apic driver or the other way round?

Sorry, I've never heard of this apic thing before.