587,739 active members*
3,111 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haas VF1 Alarm Code 110/105

I've got a '91 Haas VF1 that's been running just fine. Today I was using it manually to drill a hole through a new fixture plate to bolt it to the table. I've gotten a 105 and a 110 Alarm. 110- excessive load on z axis motor. 105- too much load or speed on z axis motor. The 110 is the most prevalent and comes back within five seconds of resetting the codes. As such, the z-axis won't move (drill bit was still in contact with the fixture plate but I pulled it out of the toolholder and was able to activate long enough to release the toolholder). I pretty sure this machine has no brake but rather uses the big counterweights. I've found a few hits on the web about possibly the brake not releasing the z axis servo motor but since I'm not sure it's even GOT a brake (but rather the counterweights) I'm at a loss.

Anyone deal with this? I can deal with my lathe being down but in addition to EVERYTHING else I do with the Haas, I also engrave my serial numbers on my products with it and have a bunch to do... And a certain governmental entity frowns heavily upon my products with no serial numbers... PLEASE HELP! Trying to avoid, hopefully, a Haas service call...
    -J. Burnett, V.P.
    Armoury Guns/ARMTAC Machine

Z servo errors on a VF-1

That machine definitely has no brake on the Z axis. It has a counterbalance weight and brush servo motors.
    You can slide the Z axis way covers aside and see if the motor and screw can be turned at all. If they can, it is likely motor or drive card. If not, it is likely the screw.
    (Also make sure the counterbalance is still there.)
    On a 20 year old machine, this might be the motor brushes.
    If drive card is suspected, you can swap Y and Z quickly to see where the problem goes.