587,458 active members*
3,906 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Can't Believe It Works!

After a few months of cutting, gluing, parts searching and soldering, it's working. Based on the free plans, I opted for birch ply instead of MDF because of the high humidity in my area. Although the ply was warped, it came together nicely. I'm using the HobbyCNC board with 200 oz. steppers and running Mach2. From the picture you can see I've only got a pen for a tool right now. I also have a temporary ply cutting bed (also warped) sitting on some 2x4's to raise it for the pen. Tomorrow I hope to cut a Dremel mount and do it's first cuts.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AirCut.jpg  

Very cool. I built the same design. What type of threaded rod did you use? How big is your power supply? I've only got the 80 oz in. motors on mine but running the hobbycnc board as well. Has worked great for many projects so far. Hope you have as good as luck as I've had.
    Darren
    http://www.darrensshop.com

I built the power supply using a 30 volt transformer. After the rectifier phase mine came out to 44VDC, which is the max for the HobbyCNC board. I'm also using 1/2-10 ACME rod with dumpsterCNCs antibacklash nuts. I'm surprised at the torque and speed this thing has.

Dave