587,657 active members*
9,254 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > What is the best way stay current in MC after the part has changed in SolidWorks

What is the best way stay current in MC after the part has changed in SolidWorks

Greetings

What is the best way to handle a part that has changed (been modified) in Solidworks after the Mastercam tool path programing has been completed? Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees and there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

Thanks in advance if someone can help.

Due to the economy...I'm stuck in V9...Sorry

V9!! wow...

I was going to say to just have tracking set up for the part, and it checks to see if there is a newer file every time you open the part or also if you manually have it check...but now I'll have to just say "ask the engineering department"
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by WallyL7 View Post
    V9!! wow...

I was going to say to just have tracking set up for the part, and it checks to see if there is a newer file every time you open the part or also if you manually have it check...but now I'll have to just say "ask the engineering department"
    That won't help you update the Mastercam file by asking them.

Have you looked at Solidcam Express for Solidworks. It will update most of the toolpath while you are making the changes.

I am pretty sure with Mastercam you must delete the old model, then bring in the new model and reapply all the toolpaths. Just the chain info.

John

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigJW View Post

Have you looked at Solidcam Express for Solidworks. It will update most of the toolpath while you are making the changes.

John
    Hello. Do you use Solidcam? Do cam programs that run inside of Solidworks require you to extract wireframe geometry for chaining? I have tried solid chaining in Mastercam but find wire frame chaining to be easier and better. I would like to hear others experiences on this. What about Mastercam For SolidWorks, is it any good?

That won't help you update the Mastercam file by asking them.

I am pretty sure with Mastercam you must delete the old model, then bring in the new model and reapply all the toolpaths. Just the chain info.

John

I was under the impression he was just trying to track files or file changes. If he is just trying to update a part, then all he would need to do is move everything to a different level (level 10, 100, whatever), bring in the new part on level 1, and apply the changes per the new rev. This leaves all the correct toolpath intact, and allows him to add or delete incorrect toolpath. Quite simple.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by jjacoby View Post
    Hello. Do you use Solidcam? Do cam programs that run inside of Solidworks require you to extract wireframe geometry for chaining? I have tried solid chaining in Mastercam but find wire frame chaining to be easier and better. I would like to hear others experiences on this. What about Mastercam For SolidWorks, is it any good?
    See here.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrDQ-ES31Ew&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]YouTube - SolidCAM 2009 Geometry Chain Selection Improvments[/nomedia]

John

Quote Originally Posted by jjacoby View Post
    I just changed over to Soldicam and its a much more efficient platform. Geometery selection is your choice, you can either select it by hand or just go back to assembly and click the sketch. In SolidCam the geometry actually highlights all the time and has a number next to it so if you need to change a specific segment you do it very simply. It also has a circle on the arrow that shows the cutting side of the line.

Foxsquirrel
    Another thing to add to that is the ability to move your lead-in around on your geometry and also being able to modify or extend tool path geometry without having to create new sketches.

Check the rev. People want cam to do everything for them these days.
    ,Buster

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainwildman View Post
    Check the rev. People want cam to do everything for them these days.
    So after you check the rev and it's different you reprogram the part.

Is that on your computer. That new fan dangled thing. Who even needs them anyway.

John

Quote Originally Posted by WallyL7 View Post
    I was under the impression he was just trying to track files or file changes. If he is just trying to update a part, then all he would need to do is move everything to a different level (level 10, 100, whatever), bring in the new part on level 1, and apply the changes per the new rev. This leaves all the correct toolpath intact, and allows him to add or delete incorrect toolpath. Quite simple.
    So if the model changes .003" on 100 different surfaces how is that dealt with?

John

Greetings,

I did what WallyL7 suggested. It was a good idea I had not thought of. I would like to ask for a little more detail about his method. As I worked thru the process I found that it let me bring in the new part (I use a parasolid x_t ...not sure if that is the best way?, that might be part of the problem or another topic all togeather) without my operations going away. The operations seemed to be tied to the old part that was moved to the other level, I used level 10. In order to get them on the new part, I had to repick surfaces, chains, boundries and some Z depths on the new part. The part had 27 operations in the first setup with a surface contour rough, some surface flowlines, some surface finish shallows and some thread milling. By the time I strained my brain recalling what surfaces, chains and Z depths I had previously picked on the old part for the new one as well as backploting each one and an occasional a verify, it would use up a little more than and hour. At no ones fault other than it being a new part, (you know how it goes ...move this a little to clear that, tweak this to make it more pleasing to the eye, add this/take away that to make it faster to make) this was done 4 times before I had a part myself and the costomer was happy with.

If I left the unchanged operations on the old part that were good and unchanged from the new part and only did what needed to be done on the new part, I would not have to redo a lot of the operations but at that point I would be using 2 parts to get code for 1 part and I'm no were near smart enough to keep up with that on all my jobs as you guys can plainly see by this rambling post.

Again, Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees...O' Yea, It doesn't help when the jobs are always smoking red hot, only to hurry up and wait!

Thanks guys

The best way to stay current with a part that has changed in solidworks is to use a good cam software that runs native in solidworks.

merge in the new solid on a different level, change its color, overlay them, do some analyzing, name the new solid with the rev. If there has been a change you can keep the old model and the unaffected toolpaths and reapply the old toolpaths to the changed geometry.
    ,Buster

Unfortunately you're are not going to have any automated tools for change recognition in V9. Mastercam did not add change recognition until X2.

So if the model changes .003" on 100 different surfaces how is that dealt with?

John

Unfortunately, John, in version 9 there wasn't a button that you could push that would solve this problem of updating parts for any - let alone 100 - different surfaces. I think the OP understands how I explained what to do, and I stand by it, as probably the best way to handle changes in V9.

Like others have said, and I said originally - transfer the original model onto a different level, and bring in the new model. What he should be able to do at that point is address the changes via what is said on the print, then go through each tool path ( yeah - it may take a little while) and make sure that it is either correct from the original model, or updated to the new model.

It really is simple, John, as the OP has proclaimed. And also, Fastfrank - I like the X_T parasolids. They are super clean files to deal with that have very little file size. Also, once you've done this a few times, you should be comfortable with having a couple of different models on different levels. Name the levels for what rev the model is also - rev -, rev01, rev05, etc...that way you know you are dealing with the one you want to.

If you work with the engineers, and you can ask them what was changed, that is better than a print imo...
    Tim

Mastercam Xtras: Come see Mastercam at SolidWorks World 2011

The time you can save by programming your parts using Mastercam’s world renowned toolpaths directly within SolidWorks are mind blowing.

How about with X5 and Autodesk Inventor? I think there is a way, but i dont know it.