587,240 active members*
3,197 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

looking for st george and the dragon

G'day all,

I have been trying to make an image of st george and the dragon to do a bas relief. Its my patron saint..

Haven't had much luck creating a hight map, so was wondering if anyone had an image they would like to share?

I just cant find an image thats clean enough of large enough to work with..

Cheers,

Steve

How about this one?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	st_george_and_the_dragon.gif 
Views:	0 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	197144
    How big do you need it?
    Cheers
    Wolffie

Oh whow,

As large as possible if that's ok please... big enough so if I need to double its size it won't pix-elate.. Ultimate goal is to make something that is at least 16" x 16".

Many thanks ...

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Wolffie View Post
    How about this one?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	st_george_and_the_dragon.gif 
Views:	0 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	197144
    How big do you need it?
    Cheers
    Wolffie

What software are you using?
    Attachment 197290
    This one is about 640mm square, sorry, don't do inches :banana:
    Cheers
    Wolffie

That's 2 ft 1 13/64 inch or 25 13/64 inches - using bmp bender - jdpaint - m3..

Even though millimeters are simpler to use - I just can't get rid of inches (sort of gives away my age) it took me too long to learn what inches, feet, yards, chain, lengths miles and gallons where... before someone decided what I had spent most of my childhood learning was no longer relevant... I'm still good with the Americans though :P...

The height map from that would be awesome if you don't mind sharing it - the rest I can do from there...

Regards,

Steve

As a by the by what did you use to clean up the image and produce the height map?

The best I've been able to do with a st george has been...

Attachment 197442

Constructing a 3d scene myself but its not very good... it needs a lot more work - background has height information which needs to be removed st george looks more like a gladiator, dragon needs more work and detail etc etc etc ..

Don't know any of those programs, I use Aspire4 from Vectric.
    I agree it is not a very good picture you have, I tried to remove the background but the colours are too interlaced. Did you convert it to a negative?
    I also agree that St George looks terrible, more like a court jester than a warrior
    Well, I grew up with metric, came here in 1968 and had a hellofaproblem working out Imperial. I was soooo happy when they changed to metric.
    Thank goodness for calculators when I work with american models
    Cheers
    Wolffie

Hey g'day,

Ok so you can see my dilema and why I was searching for a pic that I could work on. Converting the pics is not an issue if you have a good quality pic and I didn't really spend too much time on the height map. Its not a negative.. or inverted picture - what it is is an extraction of the colour data and turned into a sort of negative - more a bit map which has height information darkest being the lowest and lightest to highest feature (as you already know). I've been more concerned with trying to make the models but I guess I don't have that much patience to build it right...

Its easy enought to smooth out the project in something like Mudbox - download a trial and you can smooth out the excessive details pitting etc and leave only detail that you want... then save as an stl etc etc the process Im sure your more qualified in than I... I'm new to cnc carving but not new to 3d though..

If I could find a high res pic then its easier to work with, apply a little Gaussian blur to the image to blend the colours and your almost half way... The best St George depiction is the one found on gold or old english currency but google images only has images generally about 640 x 480 at 72 dpi trying to enlarge the pic too much pixelation and too small to recreate without spending an inordinate amount of hours on it... (everything is possible though) most good images of the coin are at an angle so again not much joy... Tried a lot of european sites but the st Georges on offer are too fancy and too busy...

Well if you came here in 1968 you sound like your around my vintage lol - I was imported into this country back in 1961 - I can't remember when I learnt to speak English... if you have ever seen the movie Wog Boy the comedy it makes me laugh and cry at times... as I lived it lol..... a cm still means nothing to me an inch does.... metric base 10 is the way to go (five fingers each hand how much easier than that can you get) but my mind is wound around bakers dozen and a who knows base 12 - they must have made it up as they went to confuse us poor peasants but and inch is an inch and I know 12 of em gives me a foot...

Cheers and avagreatday..

Steve

Regal Robotics 500 Series - Large Scale 5-Axis CNC Router by Donnie Weir ? Kickstarter

For anyone that's interested looks like an interesting inexpensive 5 axis solution... by the way the project is going it looks like it will make and exceed the amount needed for funding...

I have no idea though if it is a solid machine...