587,262 active members*
3,680 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > A washable keyboard for the Tormach.

A washable keyboard for the Tormach.

I picked up one of these a while back. Since the keyboard on a Tormach tends to get a good dose of coolant and chips in it, the ability to wash the keyboard is a great feature.

FRYS.com | KENSINGTON

Frederic

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    I picked up one of these a while back. Since the keyboard on a Tormach tends to get a good dose of coolant and chips in it, the ability to wash the keyboard is a great feature.

FRYS.com*|*KENSINGTON

Frederic
    Exactly what I've been looking for. Time to drive to Frys

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post

FRYS.com*|*KENSINGTON

Frederic
    I also got a similar coolant/chip proof keyboard from Frys. The keyboard was totally sealed and cost was <$15. Came rolled up in a plastic tube.
    http://www.frys.com/product/5881063

Don

Here is the same for 6 dollars free shipping. I got one like that long ago. I did not like it too much. You can't really go wrong for the price though.
    Mini USB Silicone Roll up Flexible Foldable Keyboard PC | eBay

I got a wireless keyboard like that one:

Lenovo - United States - 57Y6336 - (US)

I love it. I can always place it away from chips.

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    I also got a similar coolant/chip proof keyboard from Frys. The keyboard was totally sealed and cost was <$15. Came rolled up in a plastic tube.
    FRYS.com | SAKAR

Don

Quote Originally Posted by concombrefrais View Post
    I got a wireless keyboard like that one:

Lenovo - United States - 57Y6336 - (US)

I love it. I can always place it away from chips.

Christian
    I just cover the keys on my mini non-coolant/chip proof keyboard with Stretch-Tite plastic food wrap. Haven't figured out how to protect my tract ball or shuttle jog controller yet from coolant and chips ;-)

Don

Just wanted to tell everyone, if you want to order one of the rubberized keyboards online or from eBay, make sure you get a good look at the keys. I have one of the under $10.00 types and it does not have a page up or page down key, on the up side it has 4 shift keys!!
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by dbrija View Post
    Exactly what I've been looking for. Time to drive to Frys
    Beware - That one is coolant-friendly, but NOT very chip-friendly. There is still plenty of room for chips to get under the key caps and jam them up. For me, this has always been a bigger problem than coolant, even with a machine that's pretty well enclosed.

Regards,
    Ray L.

If you want a roll-up keyboard, these styles:

FRYS.com | SAKAR
    FRYS.com | SCOSCHE

is infinitely better than the cheaper ones which have taller keys, like this one:

Dekcell USB Flexible Full Sized Keyboard: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at Nextag

The latter do not sit flat, and the keys are so tall, with such a long "throw", they are miserable to type on. This one is quite "type-able", albeit "squishier" than a normal keyboard.

Regards,
    Ray L.

FYI Here is a keyboard that is really is totally immune to coolant and chips:http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/cellphone/e722/images/ The keys are not tall at all ;-)

BTW when you go into a Frys you better know exactly what you want as Frys’ staff is totally clueless. The different motifs at Frys are cute though like the one in Anaheim that has a space shuttle motif and occupies property that really was part of Rockwell that built the space shuttle.