587,675 active members*
3,868 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Another driver other than Gecko?

So, I am thinking of getting (5) 570 oz/in Model stepper motors from homeshopcnc (though I want the 740s), but I don't have the budget to buy the motors and the gecko drivers (they cost way more than the motors).

I know Geckos are the talk of the town but budget won't allow it. Is there another driver out there that will work with these motors? and open source would be even better...

There's a new thread about a cheap gecko in the design stag for around 30 or so dollars per axis.
    Walking is highly over-rated

take a look at the keling inc site for motors and driver combos,they have almost same drivers as gecko and great prices on motor/driver combos,power supplies too
    check it out

just curious,what is your budget?and what are they going on?

I have a budget of $1,500 this would be for the entire build.

I already have a computer and router. Software I am not worried about right now. Mach3 will be a gift (hehe). My main concern is getting the machine together.

I am still trying to decide on the actual design I want. Would love a 4x8 but figure could get away with a 4x4 to fit my budget. I would like a machine similar to this one: www.3dcutting.com/products_FROGMILL.php

This way I have the ability to route and mill. I will be mostly using foam but wood as well. Maybe, aluminum from time to time. I would like to give myself the option to handle most jobs.

Whether I do leadscrews or rack and pinion for my X axis. I need a slave motor to drive it (easier than dealing with belts). That's where the 5th motor comes into play.

Imo, your budget is way too low for a 4x4 machine. Especially if you want to cut aluminum. For a machine that size, Geckos is really the only way to go. Once you get over about 300oz motors, Geckos are what you need.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by billman View Post
    Mach3 will be a gift (hehe).
    Tell us about the Mach3 gift, someone giving it away?

Danny

I would save up a little longer and buy the gecko drives myself.

Keep an eye on this thread here about the lower cost gecko, unless your in a big hurry to get up & running.

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Well, I am not understanding the whole deal with geckos. I understand that they are super popular. I also work in information technology and know a little something about drivers/electronics. I have never heard of 1 driver that is exclusive for running everything. That would be a monopoly on drivers. So, there has to be some competition out there or open source that could work.

For my project Let me explain about what I want to do. The frogmill is the basics of what I would like to do. I know that I could not build a full size metal machine with all the bells and whistles for the budget I have. So, I will have to compromise a bit. (whether gas pipe rails, homemade trucks, etc.) or maybe a little smaller machine.

I have seen especially on this site, if you are resourceful enough and have good scavenging abilities then Anything is possible.

Now, I have seen cheap wood routers that do a fairly decent job with aluminum from users in this forum. But aluminum I would probably use very little. My main concern is foam and wood.

I don't have the time to wait and save up. I could make a smaller machine. But I have to get on this ASAP.

The first place that chews up most of the budget is motors and electronics. So, I would like to start there and keep the costs low as possible.

oh...mach3 is a birthday gift.

I was thinking maybe I should rephrase what I am asking. Don't want people thinking I am attacking gecko which I am not...If I had the money, I would get gecko.

Is there a cheaper driver than what gecko has or open source driver that can drive the
    570 oz/in Stepper Motor Model # RS23-570 from homeshopcnc ???

I am not familiar with either the motors or other available drivers that can drive these motors. I am sure there has to be some. I was wondering though, since you are budget minded, why are you buying 5 motors?
    I would think 4 at most and you could get away with three if you drove two screws with a belt drive.
    One suggestion is to look at the links of supporters of this site. This will take you to many places that sell drives. Keling sells drives as well. Never bought any drives from them, but have bought motors and power supplies from them.
    Lee

Your motors wired bi-polar parallel needs a drive able to deliver 5amps and most likely rules the cheaper drives out.

Your motors wired bi-polar series only needs 2.5amps and would allow you to use the cheaper drives.

I only have experience with Geckos (G203v) But, when Gecko get done with their new drive (yet to be named(cheap drive)) I'll be building a controller for my lathe.

If they're able to keep the price under 40 dollars and you need 5, that would be 200 dollars. A steal for that price. The new drive based off the g203v but only has 3amps and 50v output and without a case cover. I guess you could say a striped down version.

Sorry I can't help more,
    Jack
    Walking is highly over-rated

Quote Originally Posted by billman View Post
    oh...mach3 is a birthday gift.
    Save $160 on Mach and use EMC for free. Get some Gecko's for your birthday instead.

Thanks for the info. Yeah that sounds great but the max I can wait is 1month. I hope so. but if not, anyone that has a cheap alternative drive for me. please let me know.

You could look at http://pminmo.com
    He has several links for cheaper and some open source and build your own drives.
    hth, Jimmy

Don't know what you are driving with your motors. You could get smaller motors and a drive like the hobbyCNC package for 3-400$. If you need the larger motors, the current requirement puts you in the Gecko class.
    This one might work.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33756