587,427 active members*
4,980 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Laser for engraving metal - the phosphate coating off of steel and annodized aluminum

Laser for engraving metal - the phosphate coating off of steel and annodized aluminum

I really don't want to be in the laser business. I though about it a few times, but I can't get what I want done locally and shipping things across states is costing me money. I just need simple logo's engraved onto gun parts. One is a steel bolt carrier group. A good example can be found here.

http://sureshotprecision.com/webstor...-2-500x500.jpg

The other is engraving on anodized aluminum. I thought that was what these lasers excelled at... anyhow what kind of laser do I need?

I have no problems importing gweike or Shenhui, I just need a laser or someone close with a laser to do my jobs for me!

Thanks

YAG laser markers or Fiber laser markers can do the work very well.
    G.Weike Laser
    [email protected] [email protected] skype:melody.gweike

Fiber Galvo laser will be the easiest to get good results.

LOTS of different models to choose from both in the US and by importing. 10 watt Fiber will be plenty.

cheers

Dave

Kcinnick, i have a laser cutting machine (CO2) that I use for mostly acrylic work. It's a full spectrum pro with a 90 watt lamp. Even with minimal power, i can get very clean results in anodized aluminum and coated steels just as u displayed on that AR bolt. U can also apply a product called Thermark that permanently bonds to any metal using co2 technology. I like having the capacity to laser cut and mark and etch all from one machine. YAG lasers markers are absolutely amazing, but as I understand, they are a one trick pony with big price tags. If u want I can set something aluminum anodized and burn that logo into it and show u my results. Just ask and I'll help. No trouble from one gun nut to another

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Here are my results, one on the black oxide bolt, the other on black anodized aluminum. With some better tweaking on my graphic program, I could've gotten a cleaner image, i just literally Googled the bio hazard jpeg, converted to a vector image and sent the job to the laser. Both metals feel rough on the image, so the mark is definitely permanent. Good luck on your projects, no matter what laser technology you settle in with, they will inspire you continuously!

I'd say nobody will heckle me for not using an expensive YAG laser to do this sweet logo, it looks pretty sweet from where I'm standing

Looks much better in the rifle than the close up. It looks like I am going to have to find someone with one of these YAG lasers to mark my bolts. I don't necessarily need the laser myself. 10k is a lot for not much value added. The normal fee is anywhere from $.50 to $2 per mark depending on the size and number of bolt carrier groups done.

The thing about having a laser at your fingertips is that it tends to invigorate the creative process of how much you can utilize it. I initially bought my unit with intent to do a very specific task, much like you. Having it around for some time, i now am making products for use in my field of dental lab to improve organizational attributes of daily lab life. If I only had a marking system these ideas would not have come forth. Marking systems are at the least 10k-40k range( as I have seen at least) , while a co2 machine can be just a few thousand. That's still a hell of a lot if all you do is Mark bolts, but you may surprise yourself with fresh ideas that generate extra funds as many do with these versatile machines.

It would be interesting to see something a little cleaner done with the CO2 laser. $10k takes me out the market, I can do a lot with 10 k

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRhino View Post
    The thing about having a laser at your fingertips is that it tends to invigorate the creative process of how much you can utilize it. I initially bought my unit with intent to do a very specific task, much like you. Having it around for some time, i now am making products for use in my field of dental lab to improve organizational attributes of daily lab life. If I only had a marking system these ideas would not have come forth. Marking systems are at the least 10k-40k range( as I have seen at least) , while a co2 machine can be just a few thousand. That's still a hell of a lot if all you do is Mark bolts, but you may surprise yourself with fresh ideas that generate extra funds as many do with these versatile machines.

Here are 2 images on aluminum, one is a vector cut just burning the outline, the other is a raster job. Each image is only 1/2" wide. The raster didn't come out too clean, but with imaging software, I could have reduced the size of each segment of the symbol so they wouldn't have blurred together as shown. I also could have slowed the laser head down to see if that could've helped. Every project, especially one such as yours, needs the details massaged to get exactly what u want. I just wanted to give u a very close up view of a familiar logo to show what a machine in the 3500$ plus realm could get you.

What machine in the 3.5k realm? I really don't want to buy junk, I am not afraid of importing, and I don't want to waste a bunch of BCG's putting my logo on them... they are perfectly fine, I just think it would be cool since the lower, upper and barrel will have my logo, it is only fitting to tag the BCG.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRhino View Post

Here are 2 images on aluminum, one is a vector cut just burning the outline, the other is a raster job. Each image is only 1/2" wide. The raster didn't come out too clean, but with imaging software, I could have reduced the size of each segment of the symbol so they wouldn't have blurred together as shown. I also could have slowed the laser head down to see if that could've helped. Every project, especially one such as yours, needs the details massaged to get exactly what u want. I just wanted to give u a very close up view of a familiar logo to show what a machine in the 3500$ plus realm could get you.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

That is the logo I need engraved, either filled in or outlined. Most likely filled in for the size that will fit on a BCG?

I only have hands on with what full spectrum laser offers. I have the 18 x24 " pro laser, but they have the deluxe hobby laser that would give the same results with a fine lens (1.5") I bought from them bc they are in Vegas and I've had good success with my unit. The military spec aluminum anodizing on AR's is easy to mark at low power and looks great. All aluminum attempts have looked really crisp. I know the YAG marking units are superior and actually can easily burn into the material ect, sounds like that is your best bet for bolts only. But if further logos and customization sounds interesting, I just wanted to help share my experiences with CO2.

So u just want the opposing FF to show on the bolt, right? I'll have a go at it and post a pic in the morning for ya. I think i have some oxided steel around and I'll size the image according to what would fit and see how it looks!