587,661 active members*
3,166 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Red face maxnc 15 setup

Hi, my name is Sam and I'm newbie to the forum.
    I'm try to setup a maxnc 15 (used) that was given to me, but I can not get it to work. I'm using KCAM4 (demo ver.) because I got the machine bare (the machine and two collets) , not software or anything else.
    Can anybody help me?

thank you..

I see that nobody has stepped up to help. Have you had any luck getting your machine running? I think you will need to get the software from maxnc to get the machine to respond. Have you contacted maxnc? I am not familiar with KCAM4. How familiar are you with cnc machines and programming?

is this an open loop or closed?

Do you know if its the old version or the new version control box?

if its open loop and older control box i may be able to help

email me
    [email protected]

Fixitt hit the nail. The newer boxes used a closed loop controller that needs their software. I don't know a lot about it other than MACH3 has a special checkbox for the MAXNC products. You might pop over to their support list MACH1MACH2CNC on yahoo and post there. If you did not get a controller box with the stepper drives then its good news - bad news. good news is you can build it up to be open and usable with several types of control software and CAM systems; bad news, since you will have to spend $$ and time getting things wired up!

Tom Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

we can play detective here.
    if its a closed loop system then there are 2 sets of wires going from the control box yo the motors. one set for the motor and a second set for the encoders at the end of the motor. So 6 wire sets coming out of the control box. Open loop only has 3 sets. easy enough.

Now the older control boxes had a black knob on the right side of the box to control spindle speed. the newer control boxes use software to control spindle speed.

Hopnest no BS assesment, if its an open loop and you might think the control box has issues, dump it, its crap. I got the xylotex driver boad and PSU and those little 114 oz steppers came to life. The maxnc has some issues that severly limit it. I am working on some of those isses and may if intrest is good, make a few kits to add thrust bearins and get rid of those power robbing ridged couplers.

The maxnc 15 is a closed loop, and it is an older ver. about 5 years old
    I'm getting motor error, I'm not sure if the control is broken or the step motors
    the controler has a switch with a red light and it does not have a the black knob to control the spindle.

thanks you

regards

sam