587,380 active members*
3,577 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need a straight answer...

I've been searching around a bit, but can't quite put the pieces of the puzzle together completely. I have Mach3, and use it for my router. I have a mill that I am nearing completion on the CNC retrofit. I want to use a Grex. The computer I'll be using is a little underpowered, thus the Grex. I don't need it to do anything fancy, just be able to process normal Gcode. I'm not even doing pumps and VFD's or anything like that. Just move X,Y and Z. I know MachIV is supposed to do it, but no one seems to know when it will come out. I also need to process more than 1000 lines in MachIV. Can anyone tell me if the Grex has progressed enough to do the gcode? I don't need to be turning steppers into servo's or anything. I'm using G320's, and am not looking for a truly closed loop system, just to send pulses to the motors. I would be much obliged for a response!

You can buy a new computer from Dell for the cost of the G-Rex. Mach4 is no longer being developed. The G100 is now controlled by a plugin in Mach3. I believe that it will currently run code, and home and limit switches are functional. Further progress is dependant on updates to the G100 firmware, which is being done by a third party. No time frame is available.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamD View Post
    I also need to process more than 1000 lines in MachIV.
    William if you can only run 1000 lines you haven't paid the lic. fee of $150 US , or you have not installed your password which will come directly from Art at Artsoft. The 1000 line thing won't change even if you use Grex and either of the above instances are true.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

I have a license for Mach3, but haven't tried MachIV yet. The 1000 limit is based on what I've read from others. I think I might just build another computer. The one I'm using shows that number in the diagnostics screen jumping between 9 and 14. My nicer computer used for testing keeps between 2 and 3. I don't know if this is necessarily bad, but I remember seeing that you wanted a low and no-fluxuating number. Maybe I'm overreacting. I'm definetly going to test the servo's with the crappy computer before I make any decisions. Thanks for all the responses!