587,704 active members*
3,534 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: PDB question

Hybrid View

PDB question

I have a rather nice foot switch which I'd like to use with my PDB but a schematic doesn't appear to be included in the PDB documentation. Does anyone know which pair (I assume) of wires in the RJ11 connector should be connected to the switch?

Re: PDB question

According to my notes it's the Yellow/Black pair on pins 2 & 5 - See here.
    I went through this because the Tormach foot pedal is nice enough, but the RJ-11 cord lying around on the floor kind of sucks.
    I thought it was more appropriate to replace it with a real cord...

Yes, normal telephone cords seem particularly inappropriate for putting on the floor in a workshop. My plan is to run a length of SOOW rated cable between the foot switch and a FSC junction box with RJ11 jack at the back of the mill.

I'd like to confirm that the yellow/black pair in the RJ11 jack is correct on my relatively recent PCNC770 PDB. Note that many telephone cords only contain two wires with no connection to the necessary pins.
    Thanks rdsi!

I didn't like the idea of all the various cords on/around/under the machine either. When changing a tool out my feet are usually in the same general proximity, so I determined the best place for the pedal and routed the cord up into the base cabinet with enough slop for repositioning but not touching the ground.
    It did require an extension RJ and female-female coupler to snake back up and reach the jack on the column.
    Attachment 295776
    Attachment 295778

Seems like a cute version of this would be to have a wireless pedal for the PDB. The duty cycle of pedal-down would be very short so a battery should last a long time.