587,354 active members*
3,155 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Tormach Power up HELP !!

I have a Tormach 1100 Mill serial number around 1050 ish The problem that I am experiencing is that the when powered up the "Machine" LED does not come on. Neither does the computer LED.
    when powered up you can hear the machine start, manual coolant works and the LEDs inside the machine are on. The computer is booted up and Mach 3 is running. The error that that I get on the computer is "External E-Stop Requested" I have checked the E-stop button to make sure that it is released. I have also checked fuses to see if any of them are blown and all seem ok. Other than what I have done I am not sure what else to check, Any help on what else I can do to try to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Tormach Power up HELP !!

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer67 View Post
    .. the LEDs inside the machine are on. ...
    Just to be sure, The power LED on the control board (on mine this is D11), the LED on the power distribution board and the LEDs on the drivers should be on. How does this compare with your machine?
    Step

Check your parallel port cable didn't come loose.

Turbo... Will check the machine and compare to your when I get near it this evening. I know that the driver lights are on and most other lights in cabinet are green no red LEDs

Bird... checked that first off ,, it would be an issue if the Machine light was on and Computer light is off.. as it is now I have no manual spindle start control and I could have that without the computer being plugged in if I am correct.

... it would be an issue if the Machine light was on and Computer light is off..
    As you say, the Machine light should come on regardless of the state of the computer or parallel cable.
    Have you also checked the two fuses on the controller board?
    Step

Turbo... I believe I did.. I checked most fuses that were easily accessible and all checked out ok .. I am wondering If A board could be bad.. if so how could I tell which board it is , I know that the power comes on because you can hear it . aftert that I am at a loss..

Turbo... I believe I did.. I checked most fuses that were easily accessible and all checked out ok .. I am wondering If A board could be bad.. if so how could I tell which board it is , I know that the power comes on because you can hear it . aftert that I am at a loss..
    If you hear the "clunk" when turning on, the driver LEDs come on and the LED on the power distribution board comes on then the bus power would appear to be ok and the 110V transformer is delivering power to the contactors. Presumably the fan at the top of the cabinet would also be running.
    I just pulled the ribbon cable between the controller board and the front panel to see if that would affect the path pilot reset but I could reset and jog normally so we can probably eliminate this cable.
    If the controller board LED is not illuminated I would next check the AC voltage between the connector block pins J5-3 and J5-4. This should read about 110V when the machine is running. If not, then check these two cables and connections. If you measure about 110V then check the two fuses between J5 and the small transformer.
    If all of this is ok or none of the steps help then I'm running out of ideas - except that something on the controller board may be defective - but it's too early to be sure. Check the above points and report back.
    Good luck
    Step

Turbo... thanks will see what I can accomplish

How about the spindle door switch? Check for 120V between J5-4 and J5-5 (after you have verify e-stop is not engaged and push the green START button).
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    How about the spindle door switch? Check for 120V between J5-4 and J5-5 (after you have verify e-stop is not engaged and push the green START button).
    If you open the spindle door and try to start the machine the Machine LED will still turn on and you will still be able to reset the control software. We can't rule out this being a problem later but the OP appears to have issues in another area that we need to address first.
    Step

good point.

Best place to start is with Table 2.1 (control system troubleshooting), and just take the voltage measurements for those steps and report them here.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.