587,568 active members*
3,270 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Partner 1 tool change

Hi,
    I have a partner 1 that does not have a tool changer. I am thinking of building a rack at the edge of the table to do a tool change from. How would I get the spindle to stop in the same place all the time?

Brian

Below the pulley on the spindle is a round disc with a circular cutout in the position where you want the spindle to stop. There is an air cylinder with a bearing on the end that fits in the cutout. There is a proximity switch on the air cylinder that tells when the bearing is in the cutout. Program a plc that when you call for a spindle orient, A-the spindle turns at 20 rpm, B-the solenoid that supplys air to extend the bearing into the cutout is energized C-when the proximity switch is made the inverter stops turning the spindle. I retrofitted a Partner 1E with a Centroid control and this is how I did the spindle orient.

What type of spindle nose does the partner 1 have?
    Is there a VFD?
    Encoder?
    Pneumatic valving etc?

I don't know if the Partner 1 uses M19 (spindle orient). If the machine did not come with an ATC, the parts required to accomplish the orientation would not normally be installed and the macro for M19 not part of the software package.

DC

Hi,
    Cat 40 tooling, there is a encoder in the spindle belt encloser . The belt is missing that drives the encoder ,but I traced the wiring back to com 1 at the cpu. This machine never had a tool changer on it.

Brian

What is the control version?

On a Centurion 5, the spindle encoder should go to a connector on the Lower half of the X axis acroloop board.

If this is a Centurion 4, there may be others here with similar controls.

Those were quite different from the Centurion 1, 5 and 6. Com1 on these DOS PC based controls is the serial port.

DC

What does M19 do when you command it?

Quote Originally Posted by bborb View Post
    What does M19 do when you command it?
    Provided there is a macro assigned and hardware to support the M19( like VFD, Encoder feedback and air lock pin), it should orient the spindled and lock it. It may do Z to tool change then orient and lock.

If it is not assigned, an error should be issued or it may time out or lock up the control if assigned, but no hardware to complete its task.....

DC