587,196 active members*
2,964 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: UPS question

UPS question

I had my computer and driver box and Bosh colt on a UPS. It worked great, I've never had a ruined part due to power issues. I just replaced the Bosh colt with a Colombo spindle. I'm starting to think that the UPS is not a good idea.

The Colombo runs on 220V, I can't put it on the UPS. If I get a power hit now the spindle will stop but the driver an computer will keep on going. I think this will probably snap any bit smaller than 1/4" and ruin the piece. If I don't use a UPS and get a power hit everything will just stop, I think.

How does everyone else deal with power outages or power blips?

Thanks.

No UPS.

If the computer goes down, the machine stops.

If 120V to the controller goes down, the magnetic switch keeps it off when power returns. When the controller goes down, it also controls 220V to the spindle via a relay. When power goes off, the 220V goes off. When power comes back on, the 220V stays off.

If I lose power, my piece will probably be OK, but only if I can ensure exact zeroing. I have not yet had it happen (other that during testing), so cannot comment, if I have a throw away project or not.

Another option is getting a 200v UPS for the spindle.
    Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."