587,281 active members*
3,316 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

So I bought a cnc

Im new to the community and cnc machines. I bought a homemade cnc machine, its 3 axis, the cutting area is 2x2 and it has a 2 1/4 hp router. The machine came with a desktop computer with mach 3 and 2-3d cut software. Before purchasing the machine i seen it work, I do not have any experience at all.. LOL.. I have downloaded trail software before hand and can do some design but Im having a problem with mach 3. My first question is do I need to recalibrate the machine do to it being unplugged ? When the owner was showing me the machine, he had mach 3 opened and there were arrows to move the axis but now there isnt, not sure if he hit another button to hve that option open or not ? Im really interested in learning and getting this machine to work for me and start small projects. Any help is appreciated.. Thank you

dubble Guest

Re: So I bought a cnc

Press the "TAB" key to get the jog panel in mach3.
    The settings are stored in the profile file, so if you installed mach3 to a new PC you need to install the profile (.xml) file for the machine, have to get it from the previous owner,
    otherwise you have to figure the settings out and have to setup mach3 manually for the machine...

My first question is do I need to recalibrate the machine do to it being unplugged
    No, you don't.

Hit the TAB key and the jog control will open on the screen. You can also jog with the arrow keys on the keyboard, or PageUp/PageDown for the Z axis.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by dubble View Post
    Press the "TAB" key to get the jog panel in mach3.
    The settings are stored in the profile file, so if you installed mach3 to a new PC you need to install the profile (.xml) file for the machine, have to get it from the previous owner,
    otherwise you have to figure the settings out and have to setup mach3 manually for the machine...

The software has been on this pc for awhile, i will try the tab and see if that will do anything for me. Where is the profile file stored ?

be careful to changing right now..
    first just try it, and after you see its moving with jog and can run some code, then you might carefully change it..

if it was working and you use same computer than was used for before, it should work without any change..

make only simple things first
    draw a single line, or a square output it to gcode
    and run.. of course in the aoir without tool

and take your time to study mach3 and the programs you using..

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    be careful to changing right now..
    first just try it, and after you see its moving with jog and can run some code, then you might carefully change it..

if it was working and you use same computer than was used for before, it should work without any change..

make only simple things first
    draw a single line, or a square output it to gcode
    and run.. of course in the aoir without tool

and take your time to study mach3 and the programs you using..
    OK, I will give it a go and see. I've been playing with the design software and feel I'm catching on pretty good, its mach 3 that's a bit confusing.

dubble Guest

In the root directory of mach3, named yourprofilename.xml

In the root directory of mach3, named yourprofilename.xml
    I hit the tab key and now see the controls to move the machine manually. all works good.. I did a search for the yourprofilename.xml and there were no results. When I bought the machine it all worked, he showed me in person.. We disconnected everything together and loaded the machine in my van. I just ran the same file he ran to show me that it worked and the router moved into position but went up instead of going down to start cutting.

dubble Guest

by "yourprofilename" I ment the name of your profile. Search for *.xml ...

by "yourprofilename" I ment the name of your profile. Search for *.xml ...

Ok, theres a lot of files that have xml. Im not sure what one it is that you want me to actually find.

Thank you dubble for taking the time to help me.. I really do appreciate it ..

dubble Guest

If you have more .xml files then you have more than one profiles installed.
    You can make as many profiles as you want in mach3 to setup different machines.
    And you can start the one you need for the machine you actually running.
    The name of the profile is written to the bottom-right corner in mach3's main screen, there is a text on the screen like, Profile: ...... and the profile name is written there and that name is the name of your profile .xml file which you actually running.

Also you can select between the profiles (in case you have already installed more than one) if you run the mach3loader which is basicly running mach3.exe without a /p profilename argument.