587,465 active members*
2,969 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Mentors & Apprentice Locator > Any CNC mentors availible on Long Island, NY???

Any CNC mentors availible on Long Island, NY???

Hello. I'm currently wondering if there are any CNC training programs or CNC experts on Long Island willing to train newcomers into CNC. like myself??? I'm have experience on conventional Lathe and Milling mcahining, but little to very minimal experience on both CNC Mills, Machining Centers or Lathes.

Not sure where you are starting from or how far you want to go, but I just attended a conference at Suffolk Community College. They are starting up a new manufacturing technology program at their Brentwood campus.

The conference I attended was for local high school technology teachers looking to partner with the college. I have very little CNC experience, but enough that we have been able to machine a few parts for our FIRST Robotics team.

If there is anything i can help out with let me know. Personally I'm still looking for more training as well, and I plan on taking the Suffolk manufacturing courses either this summer or in the fall.

Brian Buonomo
    Lead Teacher for Technology Education
    West Islip High School

Do you know of any other CNC programs other that the Suffolk Community one???

nope, that is the only one i know of. SUNY Farmingdale has a pretty big engineering program, maybe they have some machining classes.

CNC Mill OR LATHE
    SETUP/OPERATOR
    CAD/CAM
    * Computer-aided design / computer-aided manufacturing *
    CNC *computer numerical control *
     1st course is a basic course which will guide you through the 5 steps of CNC World of Machining. Design, CAD, CAM, Control, Machining and more...This 6 hour course is completed in two 3 hour sessions.
    This course is necessary in order to proceed to the 2nd course.
     2nd course is Set-Up/Operator where you will learn how to:
    Set Up Vises (Mill), Load Tools, Read Drawings, Edit Programs, Read G-Codes and M-Codes, Off Sets, Cutter Comp and more...
    This course combined with the first course runs for six weeks.
     3rd course is an Advanced Set-Up/Operator Course designed for the person who has already worked with a CNC Mill or Lathe and needs to learn another Controller, How the Off-Sets Work on the Mazaks, Cutter Comp, Tool File, Macros, Different Menus, Lite Mazatrol Programming, Describing Tools and more...
    This course is by appointment only and approximately 10 hours and is One-on-One.
    MILL SETUP/OPERATOR :
    Sessions are on Monday, Wednesday, Friday 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM
    LATHE SETUP/OPERATOR :
    Sessions are on Tuesday,Thrusday 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM
    See Schedule dates under Schedule on Website
    SETUP/OPERATOR COURSE ARE LIMITED TO 5 PEOPLE
    MASTERCAM COURSE ARE LIMITED TO 10 PEOPLE
    www.learncncmachining.net
    Day Time Hours our also available Monday-Friday 9 AM to 5 PM

Please Call 631-750-6197

Referral Partner with Mastercam offers Training
    Mastercam X6 Mill level I - II
    This course begins with the absolute basics by introducing the Mastercam X6 user interface. We will have you creating geometry, drilling and creating contour tool paths before you know it. Its gradual progression lends way to more advanced concepts such as multiple setup scenarios and 2D High Speed Tool paths. All of the exercises and parts within this course are designed with machinability in mind.

When completed you’ll have over 900 pages of content covering a multitude of topics including 2D geometry and solids creation, tool settings, stock setup, drilling, tapping, contouring, pocketing, circle milling, slot milling, 2D High Speed Tool paths (such as Dynamic Core Mill, Area Mill, Rest Mill and Contour Mill), how to import a solid and using the WCS in multiple fixture applications.
    Making your learning experience effective we deliver the information 4 different ways
     Hands-on you’ll be working with Mastercam X6 HLE software to complete all Exercises.
     Narrated Video Training and Exercises
     Text Book that will be compiled thru out course
     There is always instructor standing by your side to answer questions and show you how
    This course is designed to help beginners master fundamental 2D geometry creation concepts
    All together, The Compiled Text Book, Video Training and Hands-on Experience with Mastercam X6 HLE software Delivers an Excellent Package
    Before taking this course, It is strongly recommended to have a good understanding of Feeds and Speeds, Tooling, Blue Print Reading, G-codes ETC. (Provided in CNC Milling Course) or 2 plus years’ experience as a Set-up/Operator CNC Mill
    Sessions : Monday, Wednesday, Friday 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM
    Mastercam X6 Mill level III
    The Mastercam X6 Mill Level 3 Training : contains projects and accompanying practice exercises that span a wide degree of complexity.

All of the exercises and parts are designed with machinability in mind and include suggested fixtures and tool setups. Clearly laid out objectives and dimensioned step previews make it easier than ever to follow along. Theirs always a live instructors standing by your side to answer or show you how
    When completed you’ll have Over 1000 pages of content covering 3D wireframe and surface geometry creation, Surface Finish and Roughing tool paths. An emphasis is put on the advanced Surface High Speed toolpaths, including the new X6 High Speed tool paths such as OptiRest, OptiArea and OptiCore, STL Stock creation and its use in solid model verification. Also covered is how to create and manage Stock models in the Tool path Manager. Machine Simulation is used to check for collisions between the part, the tool and any of the machine’s components.

Making your learning experience effective we deliver the information 4 different ways
     Hands-on you’ll be working with Mastercam X6 HLE software to complete all Exercises.
     Narrated Video Training and Exercises
     Text Book that will be compiled thru out course
     There is always instructor standing by your side to answer questions and show you how

This course is designed to help Mill Level I II person go to Mill Level III and master fundamental 3D geometry creation concepts There is always a live instructor standing by your side to answer question and show you how.
    All together, The Compiled Text Book, Video Training and Hands-on Experience with Mastercam X6 HLE software delivers an Excellent Package to learning Mastercam
    And If that’s not enough, Machine Set-up/Operators are standing by waiting for your program to be cut . That’s correct your programming skills will be truly tested on our CNC Machines.
    It is strongly recommended to have a good understanding of 2D machining provided in the Mill Level I-II Training Course. Before taken this course.
    Sessions :Tuesday,Thrusday 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM ,Saturday 9:00 AM to12:00PM