587,380 active members*
4,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DIY Waterjet , where to buy part

Hello
    any idde where to buy cheap part to make a DIY Waterjet, just need to cut few milimeter,6 mm, 15000 psi would be enought
    thank you

Re: DIY Waterjet , where to buy part

Cheap and water jet are not typically two words you see in the same sentence. Once you get above about 5000 PSI cheap ceases to be a description. I have no idea what pressure you need to cut 6mm metal but I do know the concentrator is only part of the equation. The plumbing and head are not cheap/ They may be smaller pumps and concentrators made for doing things like cutting fabric and pastry but perhaps someone with experience will pipe in.

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    Cheap and water jet are not typically two words you see in the same sentence. Once you get above about 5000 PSI cheap ceases to be a description. I have no idea what pressure you need to cut 6mm metal but I do know the concentrator is only part of the equation. The plumbing and head are not cheap/ They may be smaller pumps and concentrators made for doing things like cutting fabric and pastry but perhaps someone with experience will pipe in.
    I believe you are referring to intensifier. There are two main systems in waterjet. Intensifier style and direct drive. Direct drive is less complicated but, seem to take a bit more maintenance and lower overall pressure. Intensifier has a main drive and secondary intensifier to build pressure. I don't know of any manufacturer offering less than 40 ksi max operating pressure. 35-40 ksi is generally recommended for cutting metals. For other materials a water only setup may be an option for less than .250" material thickness. I do not know of any water only pump setups atm. Not to say they aren't out there but, $35-50k for a used pump is what I see atm.