587,914 active members*
3,724 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Powermax 800 on a JoesCNC Hybrid.

Starting this semi-build log for adding a Hypertherm Powermax 800 to my DIY CNC machine.

The ideas we have so far are
    Add a removable catch-pan or bath with the replaceable sheet strip grid-work for holding material, and possible some water in the pan to prevent material from ever adding weight to the pan as it will be removable for using the machine for woodworking.

The either want to refit the hand torch as described in other threads to work with my CNC4PC controller (I am sure its not terrible difficult, but would like some general advice on what must be considered for controlling it, would a simple Solid-State Relay perform the function?), OR get a full fledged Mechanized torch (We recon we would need to refit the innards of the hand torch into a pipe to avoid heat issues, etc.)

This might sound a bit neophitish, but I have only an arm-chair level of knowledge about plasma cutters. My friend (who brought the broken plasma cutter into the equation) and I are still not exactly sure if this is possible, but with my experience cobbling together machinery, I'm very confident it can be done.

One thing I wanted to know right off. I read in the manual for the Powermax 800 that it rates for 3/4" at 50% duty cycle. A i understand that, it means it its used for 5 minutes, then rsted for 5 minutes, it will not overheat while cutting 3/4" material.

So, questions:
    Is that what duty cycle means?
    How long can it be run continuously?
    What factors effect how long it can be run continuously? (air cooling the electronics box?, the tip, etc?
    How thick can it cut with consistent accuracy?, and how long?

And thanks ahead of time, we really appreciate the answers we are getting for this. We hope this work and we can lead the way for tohers who have my machine to have plasma as an option.

The 50% duty cycle rating is a little more complicated. The 50% rating takes into account the maximum production cut rating, the input power (is it a single phase 230 volt unit...or a three phase 480 volt unit?), the ambient air temperature (Hypertherm ratings are based on 104 degrees F), as well as the material thickness and amperage setting.

On a 104 degree F day, when cutting 1/2" steel at 50 amps output, with the unit running on a single phase 230 volt input power line.....tghen you can cut 1/2" steel at 50% duty cycle. That means that the unit can cut continuously for 5 minutes, then should rest continuously for 5 minutes.

If the day is cooler...the duty cycle increases. If you cut thinner material the duty cycle increases. If you reduce the amperage output...the duty cycle increases. If the input voltage is higher, the duty cycle increases.

Hypertherm's duty cycle ratings are conservative...generally the systems will exceed the factory ratings. If duty cycle is exceeded...the plasma system will shut off the DC output, yet keep the internal cooling fan in operation until components cool down adequately..

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by kb18951452 View Post
    Starting this semi-build log for adding a Hypertherm Powermax 800 to my DIY CNC machine.

The ideas we have so far are
    Add a removable catch-pan or bath with the replaceable sheet strip grid-work for holding material, and possible some water in the pan to prevent material from ever adding weight to the pan as it will be removable for using the machine for woodworking.

The either want to refit the hand torch as described in other threads to work with my CNC4PC controller (I am sure its not terrible difficult, but would like some general advice on what must be considered for controlling it, would a simple Solid-State Relay perform the function?), OR get a full fledged Mechanized torch (We recon we would need to refit the innards of the hand torch into a pipe to avoid heat issues, etc.)

This might sound a bit neophitish, but I have only an arm-chair level of knowledge about plasma cutters. My friend (who brought the broken plasma cutter into the equation) and I are still not exactly sure if this is possible, but with my experience cobbling together machinery, I'm very confident it can be done.

One thing I wanted to know right off. I read in the manual for the Powermax 800 that it rates for 3/4" at 50% duty cycle. A i understand that, it means it its used for 5 minutes, then rsted for 5 minutes, it will not overheat while cutting 3/4" material.

So, questions:
    Is that what duty cycle means?
    How long can it be run continuously?
    What factors effect how long it can be run continuously? (air cooling the electronics box?, the tip, etc?
    How thick can it cut with consistent accuracy?, and how long?

And thanks ahead of time, we really appreciate the answers we are getting for this. We hope this work and we can lead the way for tohers who have my machine to have plasma as an option.

Increasing duty-cycle.

If the unit recieved a direct A/C line to the box, strait into the fan or was chilled in a similar fashion, would that increase the duty cycle more than any other single factor given a set of cutting conditions?

what advantage is there for use of 240 over 220

Single over three-phase?

Whats the thickest material this unit is rater for? (not that i recon we'd be cutting extremely thick material, but just to know the limits?)

BTW, THANKS for the reply.

Cooler inlet air will increase the duty cycle (as I stated previously), however the biggest factor that affects duty cycle is the output power which is a function of the amperage setting and the arc voltage. Aperage is set by the machine operator, the arc voltage is determined by the thickness of the materials, the cut speed and the torch height. A longer arc means the voltage is higher. Heat is generated in the power supply.....more heat when higher output power (in kilowatts). Killowatt output is the amperage x the output voltage.

The higher the input voltage....the less heat will be developed in the power supply. A three phase input power is also more efficient, meaning that duty cycle will be improved as well.

The rating on the Powermax800 is for piercing and cutting of 1/2" steel. You can sever (at a reduced duty cycle) up to about 1" with this system....by starting on the edge (no piercing above 1/2").

The Powermax800 was produced by Hypertherm about 16 years ago....it was replaced by the Powermax900....which was replaced by the Powermax1000....which was then replaced by the Powermax65 in the Hypertherm product line. Each succesive system had improved duty cycle, improved cut thickness capacity as well as improved cut quality and consumable life.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by kb18951452 View Post
    If the unit recieved a direct A/C line to the box, strait into the fan or was chilled in a similar fashion, would that increase the duty cycle more than any other single factor given a set of cutting conditions?

what advantage is there for use of 240 over 220

Single over three-phase?

Whats the thickest material this unit is rater for? (not that i recon we'd be cutting extremely thick material, but just to know the limits?)

BTW, THANKS for the reply.

Troubleshoot / Replace

We have some buddies who tested this for us (One of them repairs them). They determined that our controller board is bad. Part #041471. Any tips?