587,822 active members*
2,927 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > CNC Plasma / Oxy Fuel Cutting Machines > Need some help getting this Mach 3 machine going please

Need some help getting this Mach 3 machine going please

Hey guys I need your assistance. I am new to CNC software and to computer controlled machines in general.

So I have access to a CNC Plasma. It's been sitting, unused for the past few months because the computer that was designated for it is now broken. Dude doesn't mind what I do with it or how much I use it, as long as I can get it running again on my own.
    Its a CandCNC Unit running Mach 3 software and I was told the entire assembly was pieced together but worked great when it worked.

I have a few initial questions:
    Can I use a laptop to control it? If so, I will definitely need some sort of output converter I know that much. (USB to Serial?)
    I need both Sheet Cam and Mach 3 software to cut DXF files correct?
    Will files from Solidworks saved in a standard DXF convert or is the Sheetcam/Mach 3 software version/year stubborn?

I am sorry if this is in the wrong place or if some questions are blatantly obvious. If so, please direct me to the right place.
    Below I have included some pictures of what I am working with. Thanks a lot!

These are the two connections for the output from the computer:

Check the Mach3 website for suitability of a laptop. I know there used to be issues with a laptops power handling screwing things up. Once you have Mach3 up and running you just need the path files from your converted DXF files. Yeah if you have Solidworks available use it. Lost of people do. The conversion from DXF to a tool path file is where things can go wonky. I use Cambam cause its cheap and it works. Don't know about Sheet Cam. But it sounds suitable.

Well, the good news is we are still around and supporting our products and users.
    1. Start with getting the MP3000 manuals off www.candcnc.com/manuals.htm
    2. We give support to older units via our private Forum at http://www.candcnc.net/supportForum. You have to join but there are no requirements you have to own CandCNC equipment. .
    3. There are a multitude of reasons NOT to use a laptop not the least of which is it HAS to have a BUS level LPT port (the 25 pin cable you have) and "serial to parallel" adapters won't work. You will find after cutting with plasma for a couple of hours with no water tray and no dust extraction that you laptop will be less than pristine. We have to replace the keyboard on our PC based system WITH a water tray and exhaust fan about twice a year. Costs 6 bucks for a PC....a LOT more for a laptop. Laptops are banned in our shop now after the last one got jerked off a table by a passing worker snagging the cables You need to optimize your control computer for running mach and it does not play well with ANYTHING running in the background in Windows
    4. That is a servo rig (Plazpak 3 or 4 ).and uses the older DTHC (9 pin cable out to the THC SENSOR) but all f that is still supported even though is out of warranty
    5. This uses special drivers (plug-ins) for MACH and you won't find information or support on the MACH site

TOMcaudle
    www.CandCNC.com