587,449 active members*
2,936 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Best wood for machining on CNC router?

Best wood for machining on CNC router?

Today, I tried to cut out wheels with flanges for toy train from basswood but basswood left too much fibers (?) to be sanded off. What's the best wood for machining on CNC routers that need little or no sanding?

cherry machines very nicely. But the fiber issue could have more to do with the type of tool and path that you are using. Try a straight flute. If your fibers are at the point where your starting a cross cut into grain you may need to just add a second path. It is not uncommon to have this issue with wood that is not comply dry too.

jelutong

Jelutong is the best machining wood I have found in 20 years.

Have you tried using a down sheer bit? Then cut the profile with a compression bit.
    If you try, don't forget to "ramp" your entry or you'll be smoking the place up.

I was using straight flute router bits. I'm not sure about using down shear and compression bits. I tried up shear bits but they lift thin wood off the table.

Jelutong is the best I've used. Very fine grain, machines just as well with the grain as across it and every direction in between. I use it for pattern making and the finest detail is cut without splitering. Very easy to remove machine marks with a light sand.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmorris View Post
    I was using straight flute router bits. I'm not sure about using down shear and compression bits. I tried up shear bits but they lift thin wood off the table.
    Of course the up sheer lifts. May not seem worth it till you try it. I use them all the time on wood and HDU. With great results. Would not recommend for plastic or alum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails down sheer.jpg  

Are Jelutong boards expensive? Where do I buy the wood?

Freeman Supply is where I have purchased Jelutong.They have several branches through out the country.It has been a while since I ordered any and have no idea what it would cost now.