587,172 active members*
2,985 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

can I do this?

Hi - new (very) to plasma cutting.

I have a (loaned) RASOR 60 plasma cutter - been unable so far to find out much about it other than the (sparse) user guide I have.

Bearing in mind I'm in the UK here's the basic electrical spec that the UG gives:

Supply Voltage: 230Vac
    Phases: 1
    Frequency: 50/60
    Rated current ED 40%: 40A (what's ED 40% mean?)
    Rated power ED 40%: 9KV
    Cutting current ED 40%: 55A
    Cutting current ED 100%: 45A
    No-load voltage: 320V

I just want to use it to test and get my THC set up and working. I have 2mm mild steel to test cut on. The question is can I use this on a DOMESTIC supply and what Amps/Feedrate should I be cutting at? The max amps a basic UK domestic supply can give (on each ring main, or cooker or shower etc. circuit) is around 32Amps at its 230Vac before you start blowing fuses. Obviously I'll need to run a compressor, the cnc gantry and PC as well off the same supply. I'm told I should be fine as long as I don't use the plasma cutter over 16Amps.

What do you think - can I do this?

Thanks

I think you are planning to install your CNC in a shop-lot? The current in your listed electrical spec looks not promising to your RASOR Plasma.

If your RASOR Plasma's cutting amperes is above 70AMP, I doubt that you may get your plasma working, but even if you manage to get it working, after a few starts your shop's circuit breaker may trip and the main fuse will break.

But, if you are planning to cut only 2mm, 20amps of current and roughly 400-600mm/min cutting speed will be sufficient. The slower your cutting speed goes, the lower the current consumption is needed to pierce & cut the workpiece.

I think: The actual current consumption in your mains is not equivalent to the current setting labeled in your RASOR . The internal electronics of the plasma cutter will increase the current. That's why I think 20amps plasma current setting is possible.
    RobotshopCNC Malaysia, Offering Robotic Plasma Cutting CNC, Robotic Flame Cutting CNC.

Thanks. I'll give it a go at around the 20 amps and see where I get.