587,529 active members*
3,353 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Build new 25X37 CNC router?

I built the 17X20 overhead leadscrew CNC router following the plans from Solsylva. I found out that the machine was too small for some projects that I was planning. I know that the electronics, stepper motors, and some parts can be moved to a new CNC router but the 25X37 CNC router may not fit through doors at the program for mentally handicapped people. I mounted my 17X20 CNC router and computer system on carts so that I can move the CNC router and computer system to another room where there's more room around my equipment but that room doesn't have a locking door and I think that people must go into that room to get stuff from storage. The workshop has locking doors but some people complained about how noisy my CNC machine made when routing wood. The doors are about 36 inches wide. Any suggestions?

Have you considered using knock down hardware (McMaster #90835A200, for e.g) for the x-y frame? You would have to fiddle with the belts driving the lead screws and adjust the carriage trucks every time you set it up, but at least you could break it down into several large, long and narrow pieces.

I don't want to take the machine apart and put it together every time I move it between rooms. I know that one of the stepper motors stick out and will hit the door frame.

Put casters on one side of the machine. The machine can then be wheeled into the room on its side. It should fit through any door. Do not build a table to place the router on. Use collapsible saw horses to support the router.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmorris View Post
    I don't want to take the machine apart and put it together every time I move it between rooms. I know that one of the stepper motors stick out and will hit the door frame.
    Just curious about a couple of things...

Why are you building a machine at a "program for mentally handicapped people".

Why must the machine be moved from room to room?

George, I work at the program for mentally handicapped people helping workshop teachers. I work there for six years. Some people were complaining that the machine was making too much noise. The teachers didn't want other people near the machine while it's running. They found a room for the machine where there's no other people getting in the way but that room doesn't have a locking door and is used for storage of stuff. That room has telephone and alarm equipment.

Jeff
    You may have put the cart before the horse....A router is very noisy no matter what you do. So there is the first hurdle!! So the powers that be it seems to me need to make a decision to build another detached building/shop to house such a piece of equipment or, heaven forbid, cease using it

how about hinging the Y axis at the side supports so it can fold down (parallel with the X axis), that's what I'm planning on doing this on mine. Don't have to take apart any screws, belts, etc. May save a foot or so in space, enough to squeeze the table through the doors on its sides??

I found out that David Steele has plans for a 24X48 CNC router for $50. The 24X48 CNC router is similar to the 27X64 CNC router but the plans for the 24X48 CNC router are written so that you have a choice of leadscrews or rack and pinion drive or belt drive, and use either aluminum or wood. Should I order the plans for the 24X48 CNC router?