587,450 active members*
2,534 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CAPS-M questions

Does anyone know where I can download a comprehensive manual for Mori Caps-M? Or is anyone pretty good in it and can answer questions I have? We used to have a machining supervisor who hid all the manuals to enhance his own job security. He is now gone and they are lost. I have capped on this machine for a couple years and know the software well enough. Now I want a way to know it better.

For instance, in the contour side cutting screens, in lines or arcs, under "details", one choice is "closed calc", with the choices valid or invalid. Whats that about?

The capping is on a separate PC and has on the initial screen

Machine Type SV-50

NC Type 515,FS-15M

Quote Originally Posted by davek View Post
    For instance, in the contour side cutting screens, in lines or arcs, under "details", one choice is "closed calc", with the choices valid or invalid. Whats that about?

It'd been long I have touch Caps-M, I don't think I can help you much. I think Closed calc is for clearance, and not quite sure, and if Caps-M is too important, than call up Mori and order one because I don't think they put anything on line for download.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Quote Originally Posted by newtexas2006 View Post
    It'd been long I have touch Caps-M, I don't think I can help you much. I think Closed calc is for clearance, and not quite sure, and if Caps-M is too important, than call up Mori and order one because I don't think they put anything on line for download.
    I have basically learned all I know about this by trial and error. I don't think the company will order the manuals, they have been in a "just get by" mode for a couple years. There may even be downsizings or worse down the road.

Learning all I can will enhance job security now AND improve my resume, juneau?

I'll try to do screen captures on the screens I can't figure out wed..

cap screen cap

Here is a screen cap from the contouring screen (arc). Everything below "arc decisin" (dontcha love software translated from Japanese) appears after pressing the "details" key (f2). Anyways, the "center angle" is kinda obvious, it is the degrees of the arc if known. A fairly common problem is that the arc you are attempting to program describes a full circle instead of going tangent to the next arc or line. If you could force the arc to not go 360 degrees without knowing the precise degrees, that would be a big help. It won't accept a greater than or lesser than symbol (< or >).

The aux. pt. 2 x and y are related to the angle choice below them (same help screen), but I don't have a clue.

If I could figure out what "arc decisin" ("auto" or "another") and "closed calc" ("valid" or "invalid") do exactly, it might tie it all together. They effect the other choices. "Closed calc" also appears on the other screens in contouring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screen_3.jpg  

I know that the arc descision helps to determine the quadrant(s) the arc is going to pass through. I use CAPS II for a mill turn, a little different, same idea. I don't have a closed calc choice though
    You CAN do anything, if you REALLY want to, but how many people really want to?
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by slavetothemetal View Post
    I know that the arc descision helps to determine the quadrant(s) the arc is going to pass through. I use CAPS II for a mill turn, a little different, same idea. I don't have a closed calc choice though

Hmmm, I'll play with it Monday to see what I can figure out. Do you have any idea what to input where? I could see how picking a quadrant to lock it into could be handy.

Thanks for the answer.