587,584 active members*
3,668 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bringing my Prototrak AGE 3 CRT back to life

I recenrly turned back on my prototrak AGE 3, and saw that the scanning of the CRT stopped working. All i could see was basically a blurry single ling being lit up on the screen. I was dreading a LCD upgreade because they are expensive $$$$. So I took out the CRT and to my surprise there was a tall capacitor that was bulged and probably blown up. So I unsoldered it from the board and there was a ****stain underneath it. The Capacitor in question is a 6.8uf 25v BP cap which means its bipolar. You can order this capacitor and replace it with the same part, or you can do what I did and slap together some film caps in parallel. I had these film caps laying around and they happend to add up to 6.9uf which was perfect. The film caps should last forever. I hope this saves someone else from buying one of those stinkin $1200 lcd screens.

Ps make sure you take a picture of the 10pin edge connector when you take it apart so you put it back the correct way. Also the cap has no orientation so you can put it in either way, hence the BP.

Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_4538.jpg   DSC_4539.jpg   DSC_4544.jpg   DSC_4545.jpg