G'day guys,

Since getting my machine running and becoming more comfortable operating it, I have started the quest for higher material removal rates. Also I have become a bit frustrated at the lack of! I seem to hit a wall at aroundf 1-1.6 in^3 MRR, any more and the spindle bogs right down. But I see numerous other machines running very similar spindles comfortably hitting 4 to 5x the MRR I am.

I bought my 4-pole spindle for the "extra torque" but so far I think that is a myth (unless it exists at very low RPMs with do not help in the end). I feel that my machine is capable of much more but the spindle is not, though it still produces a very nice part at very good accuracy.
https://www.cnczone.com/forums/austr...cnc-forum.html

So I thought it would be interesting to table some data from other peoples machines and spindles. Below is basically the max I have achieved on my machine during testing, but I'm not sure I want to run it at that load all the time. I also tested a roughing/corncob style 8mm 3flt tool and it achieves around the same MRR but at much less amp draw.

Material being cut: Aluminium

User: Brand: Model: kW No. of Poles: Name plate Volts/Amps Hz Range Ax. Depth of cut Radial Depth RPM - Hz Amp Draw Feedrate Tool: MRR - in^3 Machine Notes:
cjohnson Jiaken JGH/105/2.2 2.2 4 220V - 6Amps 400-800 8mm 2mm 20250 - 675Hz 4.0 1700mm/min 8mm-3flt-R1 carbide 1.66 See link above.

Let me know what your (<2.5kw) spindles and machines can do and I will update the table periodically.

Edit: I believe my 3.7kw Fuling VFD has been setup correctly but there is one unknown still and that is if the 240v AC mains power to the VFD is struggling to keep up. I would be suprised as I have run other 2200W tools and a welder many times without issues. I will try to measure the mains volts when running the machine under load next time.