587,597 active members*
4,477 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > 2 VFD operation questions please

2 VFD operation questions please

Just got a SJ200-022NFU2 Hitachi connected and it is fantastic, but I'm wondering about 2 little "quirks" if you will.

When I power up the VFD it goes directly to "H---" with the Power, Run and potentiometer LED's lit.
    Is that correct or should it go to "0.0 hz" where it was when I shut it off?

Also, at very low RPM it seems to be "lopeing"... a sort of "rrER, rrER, rrER, rrER", etc.
    Have I not set parameters correctly somewhere?
    I certainly won't be cutting down there as I have a gear head mill but it would be nice to know.

This VFD is powering a Baldor motor I adapted to my mill which included turning the shaft to D80 dimension and I must confess I didn't do a great job cutting the keyway.
    When I fired it up initially it was binding and setting up a vibration so I trimmed the key down and that took care of the majority of the vibes but I'm wondering if I need to go more if that lopeing isn't part of the VFD.

Thanks in advance.

(((((hello?)))))

Well I can't off any insight *yet* as my Hitachi paitently waiting for me at home. However, I'll be home visiting the family and will hook up mine then (february 1st) If you've gotten no feed back by then, I'll offer what I can.

As an aside, I have previously run a Leeson VFD which did not have any of the symptoms you describe. I too had my shaft turned down (the electrical supplier did it for me for 20 bucks)

as for the start up display, have you read (a dumb question but we ARE male and typically disregard instructions) the manual. On power up it states the display should read 0.00 after runing through a display test pattern. Doesn't really mention an "H" I'll re-read and post if I have an insight.

This manual has a couple of revisions I found on the Hitachi web page, mabye worth a look see.

good luck and I'll post up again, when i get mine runing.

peace
    9 1/2
    B.C.I.T. Machinist CNC

Thanks 9 1/2, but I've read this manual 'til my eyes bled. The most frustrating aspect is that I know the answer is in there someplace.
    Just a matter of pushing this after entering that & done, eh?

Well, technologically I don't "speak the language" for starters and I only bought it to have 3~ but I want to run it correctly and not fry my expenditure.
    Next step is to get someone fron Hitachi on the phone while I'm in front of the machine I guess but I'm all ears when you get set up, thanks!

okay so finially got my VFD working and here's what I now know.

My display, after initial power up, defaults to 0.0. From here I dial up the hz via the potentiometer.
    If your unit is going directly to 60hz upon power up, I'd examine the A001 Frequency Source setting. It may be set to 02, Function F001 Setting, which sets the start up frequency. Now the default should be A000, key pad potentionmeter, and the F001 setting should be 0.0. for USA models. A001 for EU country models.
    Read page 3-10 of the manual which covers the settings I mention above. I hope this helps.

as for the other problem you mention, I'm sorry but I have no info for you.

good luck.

peace
    9 1/2
    B.C.I.T. Machinist CNC

Thanks, 9 1/2.

No, mine wasn't going directly to 60Hz on power up.
    It will go to "H---" instead of "0.0 Hz" on the display on power up. I was wondering if there was a way to go to "0.0Hz" directly on power up.

Rather moot at this point anyway.

I put a Leeson 2 hp motor on and it responded well but I got an "E 05" fault when I cranked it up.
    Would that just be the new motor or is there somewhere else I should look ?

The SJ is rated for 3hp which should be fine. I've run my previous mills on VFD units rated for the name plate HP of the motor with no problems. I was geting the same error on mine if I ramped up the hz tirectly. I seemed to have to roll it on smoothly. Not sure why but I didn't really have an oportunity to tune it as I left for school the very next morning.
    9 1/2
    B.C.I.T. Machinist CNC

Ok, got it mostly sussed out now.
    The first time I lit it off I was in 3rd/Over and, as you did, cranked up the pot to max.
    I haven't been using it much either but ironically it is a lot smoother with the Leeson than with the Baldor.
    Quiet too.

I've forgotten again to call tech support about having it go to Hz on powerup but it's 2 pops on the inputs and I'm there. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by QSIMDO View Post
    Thanks, 9 1/2.

No, mine wasn't going directly to 60Hz on power up.
    It will go to "H---" instead of "0.0 Hz" on the display on power up. I was wondering if there was a way to go to "0.0Hz" directly on power up.

Rather moot at this point anyway.

I put a Leeson 2 hp motor on and it responded well but I got an "E 05" fault when I cranked it up.
    Would that just be the new motor or is there somewhere else I should look ?
    Hi! I just got one and had the same problem. I found a way. Once you see "0.0hz", push the button STR. Next time you will shutdown and puwerup the SJ200, the display should be "0.0hz"