587,513 active members*
2,905 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Info wanted on HY-6040 5 Axis

Hello all,

I am looking into getting the HY-6040 5 axis CNC from ChinaCNCZone. I have seen that they updated the machine recently, and would like to know everyone's opinions on it. I have seen mostly positive feedback, but also some big negatives. I wanted to know if anyone here has purchased the updated version, and if it comes with instructions/setup info. Their website only contains outdated manuals for the 3040 and I haven't had any luck finding anything on the 6040 nor the newer revision.

Thanks in advance,

Davin.

Re: Info wanted on HY-6040 5 Axis

the improvement in the new version are:
    1 a larger column
    2 metal tank for coolant
    3 better electronics, they have now a usb motion controller with separate stepper drivers mounted in the column.
    The difference in terms of price in comparison with the old model is around 1000 EUR.
    I have the old model and I did the following: reinforced the column on both sides with aluminium supports cut on the machine.
    I change the tank to an aluminium one.
    the electronics are working good so far, but I plan to shift, in the future, to a NVUM with hand wheel and DM 542 or similar. I will upgrade the PSU to 48 volt, but it will have to be mounted externally, because in the column you will have enough space only for the board and the drivers.
    cost of the metal tank and supports: 65 EUR. cost of the NVUM with stepper drivers, hand wheel and PSU: around 250 EUR. This means that if you make the upgrade yourself you will spend 315 and not 1000.
    Said that, the weakest point of the old model is the tank, and that is really easy to replace. I ordered one from Germany. I ordered also a bigger t-nut table (50*25) that I will use to mount the rotary axis (bought separately), in this way I will use the original one with the new tank or alternatively the bigger one without tank to have more space for fixtures and operations.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

As to support, this is probably the difference between ChinaCNC Zone and the others. They provide support, the others do not even know what they are selling. They do not publish any document on their site because they know this is their strength and that the clients will turn to them, because they do provide support. On the other hand my machine was working fine from the beginning, the main problem I had was the connectivity between the parallel port and the old laptop I use (disable all the services). The manual coming with my machine did not contain: instructions on the set up of the 5th axis for mach 3 (this was easy, same as 4), and the part related to the handwheel is simply impossible to understand, but you don’t really need to, the hand wheel you need only to adjust the position when the machine is not connected to the PC or to make adjustments out of Mach 3. It also took some time to understand that the connector on top of the parallel port is for the zero probe. It wasn’t written anywhere. All the rest has nothing to do with the machine, but with Mach 3 and mainly, with the software you will use for the CAM, I use Fusion 360 and DeskProto, both free. Use the Mach3 postprocessor, but you will have to modify it in order to make it work properly with axis A and B (if you buy the 5 axis, which I do not suggest, because the 5 axis they sell with the machine is good only for experimenting). On the web you will find some ready modified files, but you might need to change the direction of rotation of the axis.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Im Just ordered one of these machines..the newest version...im struggling trying to find out stepper driver model numbers..stepper driver specs...i also purchased a atc spindle,but no one can seem to tell me if the integraded vfd is tunable ?

also does the spindle turn on with mach 3 when gcode is ran ? or do you have to turn it on and adjust spindle speed on the dial ? this is a very simple process but seen a few videos and it seems as if people was turning it on with the vfd and adjusting it ?