587,394 active members*
3,501 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation parallel port is not working

Ok guys yesterday when I powered off the machine everything was fine , I try to turn it on today and nothing works as far as the machine not moving the spindle will come on but that is it , I pulled up the diag. tab in mach3 to see what was going on and found that the parallel port pin lights were not lit I usually have about 4 or 5 green lights on and now there is nothing . I powered the machiine off and back on and did the same for the computer still nothing when I close out mach3 I got a msg that said attempt recovery with some numbers behinid it 9999-01 it had a yes box and a no box so I clicked the yes box and nothing happen I did the same and clicked the no box and it did nothing . I even uninstalled mach3 and reinstalled it and that did not help I just recently added limit/ home switches but i dont think that has anything to do with this
    HELP PLEASE

Re: parallel port is not working

I forgot to say the machine is a 3040-t cnc router from ebayAttachment 394738 I am using a hp computer with windows xp 32 bit

are you using the onboard parallel printer port ?
    Or are you using a USB or Ethernet motion controller (slow stepper for example)

over the years I have had Windows overwrite important system files a few times
    when either I have been impatient and switched the power off too quickly
    or during thunder storms when the power dipped long enough for the PC to crash

I have read that Mach can also become corrupted
    some times its just the MXL file that needs replacing
    other times Mach needs re installing

John

yes i am using the onboard parallel port , and we also had a very bad storm that knocked the power out but the machine was not powered up or on neither was the computer , what files should I check to see if it was overwrote ? should I uninstall and reinstall mach3 again ?

from a photo in the first advert for a 3040-t cnc router I looked at
    it looked like the PC was connected via a USB cable

( some breakout boards sold on ebay need the USB cable to provide the 5V supply for the PC side of the board ! )

its hard to tell what could be damaged by a thunder storm
    not knowing exactly what the error message was
    I can only guess it could of been scan disk trying to fix disk errors

if windows is working then I would first reinstall MACH 3
    ( from Newfangled Solutions not a Chinese installation disk)

I would not know what random Mach3 files could be changed

In my case over a period of 4 or 5 years ,

I have had 2 working PC's damaged during storms each time they failed slowly over about a week
    on both occasions I suspect the mother boards IDE controller was damaged

I had no advanced warning, the lights flickered and the PC's rebooted and restarted normally
    but over a few days I started to get windows error messages ---- can't find XXX

I had to copy several files back from the installation disk only to have the fault return

replacing the C drive with the previous "C drive" I had saved
    worked for a few days then the error messages started again
    an identical mother board fixed the problem until the next storm !!

note - with modern PC's with an ATX power supply they never are completely switched off
    unless you switch off at the socket (or unplug ) unlike the earlier AT PC's that had a real on - off switch

ATX power supplies are in fact 2 power supplies in 1 box

a 5V at 2A standby power supply that's on all of the time the mains supply is available
    and the main supply that supplies +3.3V , +5V , +12V , & -12V at several hundred watts to power the PC when its operating

the standby 5V keeps enough of the mother board powered to respond to the " power" button , an in coming call to a modem or
    to wake up when the mouse is moved or a key pressed

in response the mother board enables the main power supplies outputs to allow the PC to operate
    ( the main power supply is always powered - just the various DC outputs are disabled when you think you switch it off !!)

( the mother board grounds the green power "on" wire to the common black wires to switch on the ATX power supply )
    https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws...ch-supply.html

John

I do now what bob you are talking about but this machines does not have that one , I started to think back and the machine( pc) was on when the power went out from the storm , So when I get home today i am gonna try to reinstall mach3 and yes the demo version from artsoft and see if maybe I can just take pics of my settings like motor tuning and input settings etc so I can input the info on the reinstalled version, I have mastercam x4 on the same pc and it seems to work just fine it also uses cimco edit as a communication program and it works so I think maybe by reinstalling mach3 it will help . so did you just get a new pc to fix your problem

lucky ,
    I just replaced the mother board with an identical board , the microprocessor , ram and hard drive still worked !

this is the type of BOB I was made reference to

Attachment 394750

and the photo of the 3040 t

Attachment 394752

John

PS
    its a long shot but check in the motherboard bios
    the printer port is still at 378 hex and set to EPP

Quote Originally Posted by john-100 View Post
    lucky ,
    I just replaced the mother board with an identical board , the microprocessor , ram and hard drive still worked !

this is the type of BOB I was made reference to

Attachment 394750

and the photo of the 3040 t

Attachment 394752

John

PS
    its a long shot but check in the motherboard bios
    the printer port is still at 378 hex and set to EPP
    Hey john well I went home yesterday and tried checking the bios and it was off the epp was set to ept after I changed that it still didnt work so I did some digging and before the storm I was playing around in the mach3 folder on the c drive I clicked on a folder that said custom driver I found a file that said original driver and I clicked on it and it fixed it so I screwed up by clicking on a file I had no reason clicking on so I got it back working again yay!!!!!!

some times computers just enable you to make mistakes faster
    especially if you have not taken regular breaks

I guess the accidental change only took effect yesterday when the PC booted up again

great to see you have it working again

John

yeah after the computer booted the change took place but now all is fine , I did have a problem with Mach3 yesterday I was running the machine and I needed to change my program so I minimized the screen and opened mastercam made the changes and reposted my gcode then puled up mach3 and my dro's were at 212 in x and 125 in y or some crazy number like that I was on the mach3 forum this morning and tweakie said that is y they say to only use 1 pc for mach 3 and nothing else . Do you use Mach3 ? have you used Mach4 I ask because I wonder if both programs have that same issue

I am not up to date with all of the issues with the various versions of Mach 3 and have not tried Mach 4
    I installed Mach 3 on a 2nd hand Dell optiplex 755 that came with XP installed and never connects to the web

I have another "spare" Dell optiplex 755 with windows 10 installed on a spare hard drive ( making It easy to go back to XP ! )
    that I used in an emergency to connect to the web when the previous web connected PC failed

The PC I am now using to post here is based on an Asus H110M-R mother board
    it does not have the usual 25 way parallel port connector but it has a 26 pin header to connect an adaptor cable

Attachment 394886

John