587,567 active members*
3,800 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Starting from Zero - What do I need?

Starting from Zero - What do I need?

On my wall I have a clock. It has a self-contained (stepper?) motor that turns at a set, accurate rate of speed day after day, month after month. I do have the abilty to make a fine speed adjustment on the back but have never needed it.

I want a larger, more powerful motor that, in effect, acts the same way. I want it to turn at a set, accurate, pre-determined design speed. The ability to fine adjust the speed would be very useful but not required if it is difficult to achive.

I have very limited knowledge of electronics. I have been frustrated with trying to use a stepper motor for this use. To use a stepper motor, I also seem to have to buy a controller and driver and connect the motor to a laptop computer loaded with a software program. Every setup I have found will do a thousand times more than I need. I am not trying to power a robot or controling a NC machine. I only want the motor to spin at a pre-determined speed.

Is it possible to use a stepper motor like a self-contained motor in a common clock without an expensive driver, controller, computer and software? How do I control the speed of a stepper motor as a clock controls its speed? What is the least I need to accomplish this?

Thanks, Ken Brown

A dc motor and the appropiate speed controller.
    Here try this link http://www.surpluscenter.com/electri...tname=electric
    Surplus Center - Electric Motors, Gearmotors, Relays, Toggle Switches

Quote Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
    A dc motor and the appropiate speed controller.
    Here try this link http://www.surpluscenter.com/electri...tname=electric
    Surplus Center - Electric Motors, Gearmotors, Relays, Toggle Switches
    What is "a appropiate speed controller"? Again, the clock on my wall does not use a external controller yet turns at a constant speed by using quartz. Is it not possible to use a motor and a simple circuit to do the same. How do I do this or to whom do I go to for the diagram and parts. I want to keep the design as simple as possible to accomplish the one job it is needed to do.
    KB