587,406 active members*
3,380 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hypertherm Control Package?

Like most of the posts here, I'm gonna direct this one mostly to Jim Colt.

I'm wondering about the Hypertherm Controls. Everything I can find on the web is either too vague or WAY too specific. I'm really hoping you can give us an overview of what's offered and what it's suitable for. Also some random questions in no particular order.

1). Are these controls suitable for the smaller homebuilt (Kit) type machines? I'm thinking of the typical 4x4 to 5x10.

2). Are the control systems sold separately from the drive systems. Is there an All-Together package?

3). Got any pics of customer installs? All the ones on the website are just the individual pieces by themselves. I'd kinda like to see how it goes together. Especially of whatever package might be most appropriate.

4). Servos, right? I'm guessing the 100w setup is the most appropriate to the general size tables we homebuilders tend to use?

5). What does / does not come included. It kinda looks like the Micro-Edge uses a standard PC monitor / Keyboard / Mouse, but I'm not sure.

6). I know it's impossible to price without knowing EXACTLY what is needed, but I would appreciate it if you could indicate what ballpark I might expect to find myself in. The systems look really nicely made, and some are obviously high-end industrial and that, frankly, leaves me a little worried whether a regular guy like myself is going to be able to afford it.

7). I'm assuming the customer provides their own Cad/Cam package. What's it most compatible with. Do you have the info to setup a post for the CAM (Sheetcam?)

8). I'm having a little trouble picking through the accessory offerings. Is torch height control a separate unit? How is it integrated, if so? It almost looks like it has it's own Z-axis setup.

Sorry to bug you with so much, but when it comes to Hypertherm, you're the man!

Re: Hypertherm Control Package?

I have added my responses to each question in red...Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by INTJGuy View Post
    Like most of the posts here, I'm gonna direct this one mostly to Jim Colt.

I'm wondering about the Hypertherm Controls. Everything I can find on the web is either too vague or WAY too specific. I'm really hoping you can give us an overview of what's offered and what it's suitable for. Also some random questions in no particular order.

1). Are these controls suitable for the smaller homebuilt (Kit) type machines? I'm thinking of the typical 4x4 to 5x10.

Hypertherm produces a variety of industrial cnc controls that are designed specifically for Plasma, Waterjet, Laser and oxyfuel cutting applications. They are all aimed the high production, high duty cycle users....typically 3 shift a day operations that need high productivity and tight tolerances.

2). Are the control systems sold separately from the drive systems. Is there an All-Together package?

We do have one model that has built in drives (servo only), the others interface to variety of different servo based drive equipment.

3). Got any pics of customer installs? All the ones on the website are just the individual pieces by themselves. I'd kinda like to see how it goes together. Especially of whatever package might be most appropriate.

The big users of our CNC controls are the major OEM's that build industrial cnc cutting machines. Koike Aronson, AKS Cutting systems, Retro Systems, ALLtra Corp, Messer Cutting systems to name a few. Often our controls are built into the sheet metal of these companies machines.

4). Servos, right? I'm guessing the 100w setup is the most appropriate to the general size tables we homebuilders tend to use?
    Servo's only. 100 watts might be used on occasion for the z axis (torch height) but is not nearly powerful enough for the x and y on large machines. Generally 300 watt and larger are the servos used with our controls.

5). What does / does not come included. It kinda looks like the Micro-Edge uses a standard PC monitor / Keyboard / Mouse, but I'm not sure.

There are different versions of each model.....most use a touch screen that can be supplied by us....or you can supply your own. Only rarely is a standard keyboard used as the "human interface".

6). I know it's impossible to price without knowing EXACTLY what is needed, but I would appreciate it if you could indicate what ballpark I might expect to find myself in. The systems look really nicely made, and some are obviously high-end industrial and that, frankly, leaves me a little worried whether a regular guy like myself is going to be able to afford it.

Our CNC controls can handle up to 8 axis as well as multiple processes (4 plasma torchs, 16 or more oxyfuel, marking, beveling, rotary axis, etc.)....our lowest priced CNC starts at about $12k.......and you can spend up to about $25k.

7). I'm assuming the customer provides their own Cad/Cam package. What's it most compatible with. Do you have the info to setup a post for the CAM (Sheetcam?)

Any CAD can be used, any CAM with the correct machine coding can be used. For all the features to work best you must use our CAM software called Pro-Nest.

8). I'm having a little trouble picking through the accessory offerings. Is torch height control a separate unit? How is it integrated, if so? It almost looks like it has it's own Z-axis setup.

Torch height can be integrated...or it can be separate. If integrated it is just another axis with the position feedback using arc voltage as compared to encoder counts from the other axis.

Generally speaking....it would be rare for a DIY machine to be built with one of our controls...though it has happened.

Sorry to bug you with so much, but when it comes to Hypertherm, you're the man!

Re: Hypertherm Control Package?

Not what I was hoping for, but good info.

Thank you.