587,133 active members*
3,533 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

1100 Series 3 For Sale...Maybe

So I have a 1100-3 that bought direct from Tormach in June 2015. Still unopened crate. Serial #3375. Also, unopened crated stand. Machine in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Thinking about selling it to buy the 15L Slant-PRO CNC Lathe then getting the smaller 440 CNC mill.
    If I knew the 440 was coming, I would have just waited and bought the 440 from the start.The 770 and 1100 were too close in price not to pull the trigger and buy the 1100 back in June.
    It would be great if I could get near 100% of my purchase price. You folks think 100% or close, selling price is feasible?

Re: 1100 Series 3 For Sale...Maybe

If it's still in the crate call up tormach and ask if they'll swap, tell them you wanna buy the lathe too, it's not a bad deal for them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Seems to me that expecting much more than 60-70% of new price is unreasonable, even in the unopened crate. Any buyer will be losing 6 months of warranty support and they may want a different configuration than you ordered. OTOH, if Tormach is out of stock for a couple of months and someone in the same town needs it before he loses a major job, you might even get a premium.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Seems to me that expecting much more than 60-70% of new price is unreasonable, even in the unopened crate. Any buyer will be losing 6 months of warranty support and they may want a different configuration than you ordered. OTOH, if Tormach is out of stock for a couple of months and someone in the same town needs it before he loses a major job, you might even get a premium.
    Hmmm...Maybe not 100% but 70% or less doesn't sound right.

Tormach has great customer service. I would like to hear the results of you contacting them.

Having just taken delivery of my first CNC machine this fall a 30% discount with no customer support is not very appealing.

As would I, however they have pretty much taken care of anything I needed, no questions asked, I am under warranty, but I think they would be pretty accommodating even if your warranty was over.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffy Lab View Post
    Hmmm...Maybe not 100% but 70% or less doesn't sound right.
    That was just my opinion - let us know if it brings what you want. Your chances on that will improve if you are willing to wait for the right buyer to come along - maybe a week or two or maybe a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by oneineight View Post
    Tormach has great customer service. I would like to hear the results of you contacting them.

Having just taken delivery of my first CNC machine this fall a 30% discount with no customer support is not very appealing.

Tormach will absolutely still support you even if you buy the machine used. When you call for support, they don't even ask you your serial number, they may ask you what series, but they don't ask you anything about you.

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    As would I, however they have pretty much taken care of anything I needed, no questions asked, I am under warranty, but I think they would be pretty accommodating even if your warranty was over.

Warranty seems to matter as far as replacement parts goes (and even then, Tormach is pretty accomodating). Post warranty phone support -same as you get with the warranty in place- is identical so far. My machine's been out of warranty since 2010. Tormach still answers the phone and spends all the time needed to get me back up.

I needed a stepper motor replacement and it was fantastic (under warranty ) quick diagnosis and shipping, I'd imagine the only difference would have been that o would have had to pay of it wasn't under warranty.

What other options did you order? Is it just the base 1100?

Stand?
    Automatic draw bar?
    3/4 collet?
    Etc......

Quote Originally Posted by monito View Post
    What other options did you order? Is it just the base 1100?

Stand?
    Did you even read the OP's post?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Seems to me that expecting much more than 60-70% of new price is unreasonable, even in the unopened crate. .
    I would say even 80% would not be unreasonable. That's brand new and 20% off.

If I was the OP would just keep the 1100, comparatively the 1100 is already on the small side. Guess it depends what your doing but you have more range with 1100 and it will do everything the 440 or 770 will.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Duncan View Post
    I would say even 80% would not be unreasonable. That's brand new and 20% off.

If I was the OP would just keep the 1100, comparatively the 1100 is already on the small side. Guess it depends what your doing but you have more range with 1100 and it will do everything the 440 or 770 will.
    As I said, just my opinion. If he sells and comes back to tell us details we'll get one actual data point. It's not often that a new machine still in the crate gets sold in the "used" market. About a year ago, I sold my used Duality lathe for about 1/2 of new price and had a couple of very interested buyers, perhaps because Tormach was out of stock and no longer actively selling them. I wonder if I could have gotten considerably more for it.

Personally, I usually have a lot more projects for the mill than the lathe but it is nice to have both, just in case.

I'm just the opposite. More lathe than mill work, for me.
    It has just about everything but the ATC. Has power draw bar,controller, TTS, Axis, tons of tooling and other accessories still sealed and boxed.. I'll probably just keep it.
    The biggest issue is that I still haven't uncrated it yet!
    I just wish I knew the 440 was coming out!Attachment 302156

Quote Originally Posted by oneineight View Post

You can add a year of warranty for just $450.00.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I think Tormach will take it back for a Restocking fee. They may work a deal if you are swapping machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Duncan View Post
    Did you even read the OP's post?
    I read the post, and was wondering the same thing.........dont need anything, just curious.
    mike sr

To the OP, remember that you can get a high speed spindle now for the 1100, so it can be the best of both worlds for you. Plus, it has better spec'd components than the 440, is more rigid, and a better value (IMHO) overall.

Of course that is no consolation if you need the extra bucks to get the SPL-15 lathe. But think about the difference in price between the 440 and the 1100... and the fact that even if you unloaded it near retail (or Tormach agreed to swap it out), you would still be out the cost of shipping, which isn't insignificant.

Only you can answer the question of how necessary it is for the type of work that you do. DO you have space for both the 1100 and the SPL-15 in your shop, or is that a consideration?
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I'd keep it ...but that's the one I bought so I guess I'm pretty biased, I would definitely hit up tormach, they are prolly reading this and already have an answer haha, I think it will be a reasonable one. ..and we all wanna know. Good luck.
    You give up quick change tooling or pdb or something for the extra rps of the high speed spindle don't ya? I talked to the tormach guys at an event about just making a smaller pulley to wiz the stock spindle a bit faster, I think 8 or 9k would be OK on stock bearings, but you can always get better bearings. ..but that's a different thread..