587,383 active members*
3,476 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Posting Mastercam Toolath to Prototrak SMX

Posting Mastercam Toolath to Prototrak SMX

I have been trying to figure out how to successfully post from MCX9 to our Prototrak K3 with SMX control for the last couple days. I think the problem lies in how the control processes the cutter comp. I can post and run the program fine with computer comp or wear comp as long as the Dia in the tool page is set to zero. If I make it anything other than zero, (example: -.002 to compensate for actual tool dia), or try to use control comp and input the actual dia into the tool table it gives me an error that states "Mill to mill tool compensation failure. The operation that causes the issue is the 2D Dynamic Mill toolpath I created in mastercam. Ideally I would like to be able to use control comp in Mastercam so that they guys running the Prototrak can do what they normally do and put the actual tool dia in tool table and adjust it from there. I would even be ok with using wear so that the tool table would need to read zero and need adjustment from there. I want to be able to adjust for the dia of the tool at the control rather than having to go into mastercam to do it every time as I am not the one who will be running the machines, just programming for them. I have been in contact with our MasterCam reseller and am currently trying to contact Southwestern Industries but have had very little luck getting them to call me back. Has anyone here had the same issue and found a fix?

Re: Posting Mastercam Toolath to Prototrak SMX

Quote Originally Posted by bb1091 View Post
    it gives me an error that states "Mill to mill tool compensation failure. The operation that causes the issue is the 2D Dynamic Mill toolpath I created in mastercam. Ideally
    If the toolpath in Mastercam crosses over itself, or creates small cornering radii....then forget using comp....it won't work.......any comp value you input must be smaller that the smallest internal corner

By design, area clearing routines do not use comp...neither do surfacing ops
    - comp should only be needed on paths that profile ( ie. a contour with (or without) an XY offset ).

If you need to alter the path by a large amount ( ie using a 1/2" cutting tool in place of a 5/8" programmed tool diameter, then your cutting data is not correct- speed/feed/stepover etc )

IMO, clearing & roughing should be done with one tool, where a small diameter variance is not critical ( & changed if required )....Any finishing ops are done with comp, using a tool that can retain sharpness for the entire job run. This ensures consistency of sizes ( & finish ) for all parts
    - it is also cheaper.... a slightly used finishing tool is your next rougher

I realize now that I misspoke in my original post. Working on this for 3 days has gotten me a bit flustered. I have been in contact with Southwestern Industries and our MasterCam reseller to try and figure this all out. It turns out that I cannot run the MasterCam toolpath in the control as a conversational program. Now that I've learned to run it as g-code I just need to figure out exactly how it needs to be posted to run right. Since this is a 2-axis machine the operator needs to set the Z and as it stands right now the program does not give them a place to do so. I am slowly but surely getting it straightened out.

bb1091,

I am not sure what machine you have, if it is a bed mill or one of the new tool changer machines. I started using Mastercam with a Prototrak SM and SMX 3X bed mill. Be sure to work with your
    reseller to develop a post that will work for your situation. Our machine was a not tool change machine and we had to edit the post extensively to do what we wanted it to do. It has been a while but I believe you need to use the extension .GCD (G Code Direct). It is very limited on what you can do edit wise in the control. Read the documentation with the machine to see what G and M codes you can use. I believe cutter comp is supported by the control however I do not think you can use sub programs with the Prototrak.