587,125 active members*
2,777 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Multiple Part Offsets with PathPilot

PCNC 770, running PathPilot.
    I created a SprutCam V8 tool path with multiple part setups. In SprutCam, I insert a Auxiliary Operation to load my Haimer, comment to "flip part to G55", then a stop . This worked great with Mach3, but with PathPilot the Jog is locked out while paused in a file run.
    I then have to cancel the run, set the new workoffset, then "run from here" with the next operation after the Auxiliary. When I do this, the new work offset I just set gets messed up (90% of time) and my G0 X0 Y0 Z3 doesn't go where it is supposed to (thankfully that little line of code has saved my butt multiple times). Is there a way to jog while in a pause in PathPilot? Any advise?

Re: Multiple Part Offsets with PathPilot

Nope, there is no way to jog while in an M0/1 stop in PathPilot. I just finished a few parts that required 4 different G5x setups and had to do the same thing. I agree it is a pain to select the start line after each flip, but I consider it worth it knowing the "start here" function actually works in PathPilot.

Here are the steps I use with success (these are off the top of my head, so I may have left something out):
    Sprutcam9
    1. Folder to contain all G55 operations, G55 offset selected and LCS selected properly at the folder level
    2. Aux op with toolchange to haimer and M0 stop (name it something useful, like "Setup G55")

Tormach with PathPilot
    1. Make sure the g-code has the G55 before the Haimer switch and M0 (this is probably why your work offsets were reset)
    2. Press "Stop" on PathPilot to stop the program once the M0 is hit
    3. Immediately right click -> set next line on the toolchange for the next operation (don't rerun the G55 set again)
    4. Verify your setup command is indeed G55
    5. Set your x,y,z zeroes
    6. Cycle start

A note that MountainDew helped me with (after I ran into the same issues): Do NOT use G54 in a multi-sided part, PathPilot seems to load some kind of special values in it when it is commanded (maybe from the wizards / interactive mode) and you will lose your zeroes once it is commanded. Tormach is aware of this issue, but I am not sure what the final fix will be. It is safe to use G55-G59 without any issues.

Thanks for the reply wtopace, I will use your process.
    Also, just to verify your last pointer, for a multi-setup part should the initial Tormach parameters or the first operation be switched to a G55? (default id G54)

The first Sprutcam operation should be set to G55 with the following operations being G56, G57 and so on. This will allow PathPilot to do what it needs to with G54 without interfering with your machining ops and you'll have the option to set G55 as soon as your g-code begins (although it's a pain to immediately "stop" and zero the part).

Good luck!

My PP programs mostly avoid using g54 as the first offset in the program. I don't pay much attention to what number g5X offset I use after that and in many cases I drag the offset groups around to reorder sides as I see fit when setting up operations. I have found NO problems if g54 is used as offset in any other place in program. That said, its hard to trust its use anywhere based on what I see happen. Plenty of offsets to set and who cares if g54 is even used. I never found much for standards with using g5x offsets so I wing there order anyway

This workaround sounds like a major PITA! Has anyone initiated a "bug" report to Tormach to fix?

Quote Originally Posted by PayLoad_Mech View Post
    This workaround sounds like a major PITA! Has anyone initiated a "bug" report to Tormach to fix?
    Looks like it's now listed on bug report. The description leans more to another problem I noticed and possibly related.