587,380 active members*
4,052 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Changing offsets

Whenever I go to reference my axis, the machine immediately jogs to the coordinates in the offset screen. Ive had no luck in changing these values. Its really frustrating. I cant zero my parts without first letting the axis jog all over the place in order to "reference" them. How can I fix this?

Thanks!

Re: Changing offsets

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkey View Post
    Whenever I go to reference my axis, the machine immediately jogs to the coordinates in the offset screen. Ive had no luck in changing these values. Its really frustrating. I cant zero my parts without first letting the axis jog all over the place in order to "reference" them. How can I fix this?

Thanks!
    Im not sure I understand what you are trying to do?

Pathpilot has to be referenced first on startup. Then load the part and set the zero for x y z and run the part, on the next part after the first one, just zero the axes on the new part and go.

Mach 3 would let you run a part without referencing first, pathpilot must be referenced first, this sets the soft limits as well.
    mike sr

As mike says, don't think of this as "wasting time" waiting for the axis to reference. In reality you are gaining time, since the soft limit (which is set by the axis referencing procedure) will prevent the axis violation which would require you to re-zero your part.

Yes mach3 didn't require you to reference your axis. But than mach3 didn't have soft limits (in Tormach's version).
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Why are soft limits so nice or important?
    When jogging around to set 0 on x,y,z, I only come close to limits on y axis and that is not hard to see. Cam software controls the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Why are soft limits so nice or important?
    When jogging around to set 0 on x,y,z, I only come close to limits on y axis and that is not hard to see. Cam software controls the rest.

MD,
    The soft limits are nice in the fact that once the machine is referenced, jogging to the end of travel on any axis just stops the machine and doesnt hit the limit switch causing a need to reset and re indicate the part. I personally really like them as its just one more thing I dont have to be concerned with.
    mike sr