587,401 active members*
3,466 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Any advice on referencing water jet part
Page 1 of 2 12

Any advice on referencing water jet part

I have an unusually shaped water jet part I need to do some machining operations on. I have cad file for this part but am struggling to figure out how to reference it. See photo.
    I could center it easily but then defining one of the 'points' would probably be the next step.
    I use sprutcam.
    Maybe I should try to locate the center then reference 2 holes that are opposite each other? The tolerances have to be pretty nuts on.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Nathan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Re: Any advice on referencing water jet part

I would use one of the flat faces to align to the X axis, and one of the small holes to fix the X offset. A simple fixture with a flat bar along one side, and a screw hole or pin is all you need.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    I would use one of the flat faces to align to the X axis, and one of the small holes to fix the X offset. A simple fixture with a flat bar along one side, and a screw hole or pin is all you need.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    I would do the same. I'm assuming the flat edges going across are parallel though.

Which way does it need to be aligned? 'spear-point" up, or two "flats" up?
    Scenario #1, I would use two pin gages in the small drilled holes, then indicate them straight across.
    Scenario #2, I would indicate the 'flats' in straight.
    Then once it's all squared-up, I would indicate center of the bore for X,Y zero.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
    It doesn't have to have any particular alignment. I like using the flats as a reference the centering in the middle.
    I wanted to center in the middle because if the water jet cut is off my a little (which it will be since the nature of the water jet is that it has a small taper) having a reference off the center may help reduce this inconsistency.
    Have any of you machined parts from water jet blanks before?

Best,
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by RussMachine View Post
    Which way does it need to be aligned? 'spear-point" up, or two "flats" up?
    Scenario #1, I would use two pin gages in the small drilled holes, then indicate them straight across.
    Scenario #2, I would indicate the 'flats' in straight.
    Then once it's all squared-up, I would indicate center of the bore for X,Y zero.

Im guessing your using some sort of fixture plate to mill this on. If so I would use cad software to design and or locate a few holes in the fixture plate that can be drilled and location pins installed. Then take the wj part and place on pins. I would use sprutcam to reference off the fixture in some place that is an offset to the pins. This would make easy/ fast one time reference and run all parts and avoids locating centers. Depending on the accuracy of the wj parts the location pins could even be outside the part shape also or both. The main Idea is to position the part on the fixture in a way that the cam software can use and then all operations run from that.
    Hope this gives you some ideas for using cad model/ cam models combined with aligned axis on mill as a location and position system. if not on this project it might help on others.
    md

edited note. looking at your hand and size of part it might be real close to y axis travel and a pin method might be your only choice to move it around to access all the edges or use 4th axis flat.

Thanks for your feedback,MD
    I like your cad setup ideas.
    Yeah, I have small hands.
    Just kidding. I will probably have to use the 4th.
    That may make my references a little more challenging

M
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Im guessing your using some sort of fixture plate to mill this on. If so I would use cad software to design and or locate a few holes in the fixture plate that can be drilled and location pins installed. Then take the wj part and place on pins. I would use sprutcam to reference off the fixture in some place that is an offset to the pins. This would make easy/ fast one time reference and run all parts and avoids locating centers. Depending on the accuracy of the wj parts the location pins could even be outside the part shape also or both. The main Idea is to position the part on the fixture in a way that the cam software can use and then all operations run from that.
    Hope this gives you some ideas for using cad model/ cam models combined with aligned axis on mill as a location and position system. if not on this project it might help on others.
    md

edited note. looking at your hand and size of part it might be real close to y axis travel and a pin method might be your only choice to move it around to access all the edges or use 4th axis flat.

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    I have an unusually shaped water jet part I need to do some machining operations on. I have cad file for this part but am struggling to figure out how to reference it. See photo.
    I could center it easily but then defining one of the 'points' would probably be the next step.
    I use sprutcam.
    Maybe I should try to locate the center then reference 2 holes that are opposite each other? The tolerances have to be pretty nuts on.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Nathan
    I would put a tooling hole on the center of the big hole, and 2 pins to locate on that hole and one pin to locate on one of the outside details and then use clamps accordingly. OR, ream the small holes to screw size, screw it down and if the holes need to be larger, open them up on a drill press after finish machining.

Either way, I would put a tooling hole in my fixture. You gotta start somewhere.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

First thing I would find out is how much remaining stock was left for final operation. Hopefully there is enough extra stock so that when you indicate the existing part, that actual model falls within the tolerance zone you need to machine. Once the part is clamped down and the holes indicated, I would helical bore the holes -.005" with an end mill for location and ream to size (Using a drill will follow the existing water jet error.) Then use two dowel pins in a fixture as others have suggested if you need to flip/rotate the parts. I recently did a similar job 18" in diameter where I had to flip the part and machine in "halves". Worked out great.

How many of these parts do you need to machine? Only 1? a dozen? Hundreds?

For a 1 off part, I would use a fixture plate and drop a couple pins in the plate, to push the part up against for the x alignment. Clamp the part, and find the center with a coaxial indicator.

For a small run, I would use 2 pins for the x axis, and add a third pin to locate a edge along the y. Then find center again.

And for a large run, I would machine a dedicated fixture plate.

Minimum 3 pins in the center bore to center the part and one pin outside to lock the rotation. You could choose any hole you wish .

I only have three to machine.
    I haven't used pins before but locating the center with three makes sense.
    Do you use a hydronic press to push the pins into a properly sized hole?

I would love to be able to flip the part but it seems like there is a chance for tolerance error.

Austin, what was your setup to maintain a common reference when you flipped your part!

Thanks
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    First thing I would find out is how much remaining stock was left for final operation. Hopefully there is enough extra stock so that when you indicate the existing part, that actual model falls within the tolerance zone you need to machine. Once the part is clamped down and the holes indicated, I would helical bore the holes -.005" with an end mill for location and ream to size (Using a drill will follow the existing water jet error.) Then use two dowel pins in a fixture as others have suggested if you need to flip/rotate the parts. I recently did a similar job 18" in diameter where I had to flip the part and machine in "halves". Worked out great.

I only have three to machine.
    I haven't used pins before but locating the center with three makes sense.
    Do you use a hydronic press to push the pins into a properly sized hole?

I would love to be able to flip the part but it seems like there is a chance for tolerance error.

Austin, what was your setup to maintain a common reference when you flipped your part!

Thanks
    Nathan
    I just made a simple fixture with 2 dowel pins. Flat plate with the dowel holes at the extreme end of the Y travel Because it was a tight fit to machine the entire diameter without exceeding the Y travel limit. So in the first op. Half the part was hanging over the front of the table. In my case the part was symmetrical, so machine op1 then flip 180 and machine op2.

Did you press the dowel pins in with a hydronic press? If so would the cheap harbor freight kind get the job done?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    I just made a simple fixture with 2 dowel pins. Flat plate with the dowel holes at the extreme end of the Y travel Because it was a tight fit to machine the entire diameter without exceeding the Y travel limit. So in the first op. Half the part was hanging over the front of the table. In my case the part was symmetrical, so machine op1 then flip 180 and machine op2.

Did you press the dowel pins in with a hydronic press? If so would the cheap harbor freight kind get the job done?
    No need for a press, I made the holes slip fit .001" oversized. But I have press fit aluminum in the past just using my vise.

[
    Thanks

QUOTE=AUSTINMACHINING;1689936]No need for a press, I made the holes slip fit .001" oversized. But I have press fit aluminum in the past just using my vise.[/QUOTE]

[
    Thanks

QUOTE=AUSTINMACHINING;1689936]No need for a press, I made the holes slip fit .001" oversized. But I have press fit aluminum in the past just using my vise.
    [/QUOTE]

I will make slip fit holes .0005 oversize that allows a snug fit and you can still get the puns out if necessary.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

[

Good to know

QUOTE=Steve Seebold;1690034][/QUOTE]

I will make slip fit holes .0005 oversize that allows a snug fit and you can still get the puns out if necessary.[/QUOTE]

Me...
    I'd cut a pentagon shape in a bit of sheet, drop the part in & do your mods
    - reference position is set, put your shape (mods) inside the pentagon & blast away

That is an interesting approach.
    This part exceeds my y limits bit I could see doing that on parts that fit inside the y limits.

This one will be put on a fixture that flips or rotary table

If I Felipe the part, your approach might still work
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Me...
    I'd cut a pentagon shape in a bit of sheet, drop the part in & do your mods
    - reference position is set, put your shape (mods) inside the pentagon & blast away

Page 1 of 2 12