587,426 active members*
4,581 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Questions about table construction for crp pro?

Questions about table construction for crp pro?

I'm eagerly awaiting the remainder of my parts to show for my recently purchased pro 4896 machine but in the meantime I've decided to build my own table and make it mobile. My plan was to use 11 gauge square steel welded. Cory gave me specs of 49"x112". I'm assuming that's a minimum. Has anyone built one a different size? Wish they would have done things differently? Just looking for some input from someone who has been down this road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Questions about table construction for crp pro?

That isn't really a minimum, It is actually a maximum, at least on the width of 49". That width allows for the X axis 4080 extrusion to hang over the edge of the table, this is required since the V-con rails must connect to the top and bottom of the extrusion. The length isn't as critical (at least not that I can tell) since no V-con rail has to attach to the end cross members. However, I strongly suggest going with the 49" x 112" that Cory suggests. (That should be the outside dimensions of the table). I verified that those dimensions were good to go once I got the extrusion in. That is the size of my welded steel table. I overbuilt mine, but I wanted the extra mass, I have no doubt that 11 gauge steel would be fine. I used 3/16" walled 3" square tubing with 6" gussets. My base weighs around 450 lbs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base-2-Reduced.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	275044

Also, Make sure you have a method of leveling the base. If you were to just put casters on the bottom then you would be dependent upon your floor being flat to ensure you don't put a twist in the router frame.

Great looking table. Looks like a display for a base for a tank! Thanks for the tips. How did you anchor the machine to the base? I've looked at extrusion brackets but they are all described as corner brackets. This is my first go round with extrusion.

I believe their angle brackets would work, I particularly like their gusset angle brackets. I ended up making my own because I wanted slots to allow for adjustment. Mine are made from 2" aluminum angle, 3/16" wall. I went with a thinner wall because I wanted the bracket to bend easily to the router base, not the other way around. I have a total of 25 brackets holding my machine. One between each cross member mounted to the side rail(With the exception of the spliced section, where I have taken 1 bracket and cut it in half to allow for 2 mounting points around the splice) and one on the center of each cross member. I drilled and tapped holes in the 3/16" steel base using M8 flange bolts, then torqued everything down to 130 in/lbs. The aluminum is connected with drop in t-bolts from CNCRP and flange nuts.

Attachment 275330

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150402_121645.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	275332

Is that a hammerite finish on your base?

Quote Originally Posted by dan3676 View Post
    Is that a hammerite finish on your base?

Rustolium hammered grey in a brush on paint

floor being flat to ensure you don't put a twist in the router frame.
    Is that the real reason for leveling legs?

Quote Originally Posted by FoxCNC1 View Post
    Is that the real reason for leveling legs?
    That is my opinion. For some equipment, like metal working lathes, an uneven floor can put a twist in the bed and destroy accuracy. When I first placed my lathe, the floor was bad enough to introduce a .010" taper in just 6". With a CNC router I can't imagine it being as critical of an issue but I think a twisted frame could cause issues with accuracy of the Z and Y axis. A twisted frame would also put more stress on the machine, since the gantry assembly would be flexing continuously as it moves along the X axis. I think this increased wear could reduce the life of the machine and eventually introduce accuracy issues from worn/sloppy parts

My base is rigid enough that even with 3 of the 4 feet touching the floor, a twist isn't introduced into the router. However, most bases I've seen on here would most likely twist to conform to an uneven floor. For some people it may not be much of an issue any way, but the floor in my shop is pretty heavily slanted to central floor drains so I always have to account for a strange floor.

Very good ideas and you make total sense. I have an extrusion based table for my Pro. Haven't had issues with accuracy although I am on a "floating floor" but I am sure at some point I need to look into incorporating leveling feet and putting the machine on a concrete slab.