587,171 active members*
2,948 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Looking for help using a Renishaw probe for reverse engineering of a rotary cam

Looking for help using a Renishaw probe for reverse engineering of a rotary cam

Hey guys, I need some info on something I know exists. I have a series of rotating cams (flat plates with cam profile) that I need to duplicate. I have a 2007 Haas TM-3 with a 4th axis rotary. I have the Renishaw OMP-40. I have the cam mounted to a spindle in the rotary chuck and the OMP4 on center right above it. I am using this method to map the cam offset from center every degree of rotation. I am using the probe Z surface can cycle to do this, and this is very time consuming.
    I want to know if any of you have written any programs that would allow the machine to measure data and output that data to a computer via RS232. I know that this is an option, I just do not know how to do it or what the program might look. There is probably a simple line that can be added to a program that tells the machine to output x,y,z coordinates through RS232. Then that data can be inserted into my CAD software to model the cam.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.Attachment 271854

Re: Looking for help using a Renishaw probe for reverse engineering of a rotary cam

Quote Originally Posted by WGJ View Post
    Hey guys, I need some info on something I know exists. I have a series of rotating cams (flat plates with cam profile) that I need to duplicate. I have a 2007 Haas TM-3 with a 4th axis rotary. I have the Renishaw OMP-40. I have the cam mounted to a spindle in the rotary chuck and the OMP4 on center right above it. I am using this method to map the cam offset from center every degree of rotation. I am using the probe Z surface can cycle to do this, and this is very time consuming.
    I want to know if any of you have written any programs that would allow the machine to measure data and output that data to a computer via RS232. I know that this is an option, I just do not know how to do it or what the program might look. There is probably a simple line that can be added to a program that tells the machine to output x,y,z coordinates through RS232. Then that data can be inserted into my CAD software to model the cam.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.Attachment 271854
    I can't help with your question, but if you do not get any feedback here, contact Renishaw USA and see if they can help. I have had great success with help for technical issues from them and I don't see why they wouldn't offer help with something like this.

Good luck!