587,431 active members*
3,061 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Revolve leaves line

Revolve leaves line

Like in the pic attached.Is there anyway of getting rid of the line in the model ?
    I believe you should not do any further operations that would cross its path,if at all possible/yes ?
    If you can rotate the line out of the way,you should ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails REVOLVE.JPG  

Re: Revolve leaves line

That's a "seam edge". You cant get rid of it but it doesn't really "bother" your surface...

You DO want to pay attention to them, and create as few of them as possible, especially if you will be making a complex model... Other seam edges, or trim boundries created with Booleans etc, can get near it and create "teeny little slivery pieces" which will cause you headaches... The "filleter" will also have to jump calc those. A bunch all stacked next to a tight or slight change in tangency will jack things up for sure...

That right there looks like a clean model. If you are going to "Boolean something in" to that model, you can have the other objects seam edge "right on top of that one", or some distance away, rotated.... You have seen the models posted where the second seam edge was "just slightly out" then the next, the next etc.... Model becomes rubbish...

Just pay attention is all.. I think you know what "bad geometry" looks like..

And btw: You "ARE" paying attention to them... Bingo!

Yeah,I guess another part of the question would be,"it looks like crap"how can I make my model look better ?
    Other soft wares remedy this ?

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Yeah,I guess another part of the question would be,"it looks like crap"??
    What looks like crap.. That's about as clean as you are going to get that shape there....

Maybe I've missed what you don't like about it...

Yeah,I guess another part of the question would be,"it looks like crap"how can I make my model look better ?
    Back in the Good Old Bob in render mode you could turn the lines off or on which made a much nicer looking Rendering. (the lines must be progress or the effect of time passed)

Showing a customer a model it looks better without the "seam".

maybe load the part in the simulator for a "rendered image"........................

Other software packages may have rendering modules, which create the appearance of a real part. You usually have to position the part, the lighting, assign the part a material, and adjust the material specifications (polished, matte, brushed, etc.). In those software packages, you usually don't see the rendered version most of the time. Any time it's not rendered, a part usually shows the edges just as Bobcad does. So if you can imagine a "Render" button like the simulation buttons, it would be something like that most of the time.

A long time ago, (V18 or V19?) I think I recall Bobcad having a rendering mode, but it wasn't really that sophisticated. It looked a lot like the way Rhino shows parts normally, but without the seam lines. All grey as I recall.

In version 21 you had a render window. You could rotate the part to any view. You could turn lines on or of as well as several other options like grid. The color could also be changed.

Ben

Yoyu can also save the part out as an stl then load it up for customer preview... That will be the same as a "shaded render" preview...

Quote Originally Posted by bhurts View Post
    In version 21 you had a render window. You could rotate the part to any view. You could turn lines on or of as well as several other options like grid. The color could also be changed.

Ben
    Yep, it was great, also had a button that was labelled "Animate" which when clicked had the rendered image rotating in all axis all on it`s own, very nice it was too
    It backplotted as well, you could import any G code into the NC area and then watch it backplot the toolpath, even had a nice big Red arrow that showed where that line of code was in the toolpath as it ran

In many ways BobCAD has moved forward a great deal but to old fogeys like me a lot of good stuff was dropped along the journey that to me should have been kept ! ! !

Still have my V21, see images below

Here is some wheels I used to make for 1/5 scale R/C model cars, first the drawn solids:-

Attachment 252514

And now after rendering:-

Attachment 252516

Just one of the great things from the old software that have been lost, we also used to be able to simply "mouse over" an entity to get all the info on it, now it`s click here, click there etc, etc

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    Yep, it was great, also had a button that was labelled "Animate" which when clicked had the rendered image rotating in all axis all on it`s own, very nice it was too
    It backplotted as well, you could import any G code into the NC area and then watch it backplot the toolpath, even had a nice big Red arrow that showed where that line of code was in the toolpath as it ran

In many ways BobCAD has moved forward a great deal but to old fogeys like me a lot of good stuff was dropped along the journey that to me should have been kept ! ! !

Still have my V21, see images below

Here is some wheels I used to make for 1/5 scale R/C model cars, first the drawn solids:-

Attachment 252514

And now after rendering:-

Attachment 252516

Just one of the great things from the old software that have been lost, we also used to be able to simply "mouse over" an entity to get all the info on it, now it`s click here, click there etc, etc

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:
    Like I said back in THE GOOD OLD BOB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF. View Post
    Like I said back in THE GOOD OLD BOB
    Well, while there were a few cool things like that, you couldn't pay me to go back from where THE GOOD NEW BOB is at now. They just added the dynamic mouse zoom feature again (was gone for 5 or 6 versions) in V27, so maybe the rendering window may make a return if people ask for it (we had dynamic mouse zoom back in V21 and earlier as well). I use Viacad and Bonzai for generating more polished views of parts. Viacad only runs about $35 and includes the rendering capabilities at that price, so even if you only used it to render models you create in Bobcad, it would still be a good value if you really need to present them that way. Here's an image of a part I rendered a while back in Viacad. I'm not a power user of the rendering capabilities, but it still came out pretty cool:

Haro team style stem by mmoe5150, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by mmoe View Post
    Well, while there were a few cool things like that, you couldn't pay me to go back from where THE GOOD NEW BOB is at now. They just added the dynamic mouse zoom feature again (was gone for 5 or 6 versions) in V27, so maybe the rendering window may make a return if people ask for it (we had dynamic mouse zoom back in V21 and earlier as well). I use Viacad and Bonzai for generating more polished views of parts. Viacad only runs about $35 and includes the rendering capabilities at that price, so even if you only used it to render models you create in Bobcad, it would still be a good value if you really need to present them that way. Here's an image of a part I rendered a while back in Viacad. I'm not a power user of the rendering capabilities, but it still came out pretty cool:

Haro team style stem by mmoe5150, on Flickr

I agree that our New Bob works pretty well for most things, it would be nice when a new version is released that it would retain features that we get use to using. I use TurboCad for my renderings And I use the upgraded Predator for Back plotting because those old features don't seem to be in our New Bob. Maybe if we do ask for those features back they will re add them and let us pay for them again.