587,793 active members*
4,057 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Torq Cut - Things to watch out for?

These machines are 20+ years old. I'd like to start a thread of things to watch out for, that might be typical failure items or things to look for when trying to put such a machine back into service. (I hope Mactec throws in his two cents worth) Things like broken or cracked lube lines at certain places in the machine. Or wires at a given point of movement that are prone to failure.

Can someone explain the continuous air bleed, what its for and why it has to be just continuously bleed air? (seperate regulator set at 15psi)

I know I have another problem with the pneumatics as air is venting from the bottom left Air vent on the solenoid manual. I know that's probably not right and is using a lot of air. Now I have not had a chance to home my machine and test the tool changer yet either.....

How long do the ballscrews, thrust bearings and linear rails last on these machines provided they have been lubed all the time?

Marty

Re: Torq Cut - Things to watch out for?

So the air bleed at the spindle is part of the seal to keep swarf and coolant out of the bearings. here is a video of one of the designs... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDBOwgQhSis (skip to 1:30 or so to bypass the sales stuff).

Cant answer the rest...

Richard

Re: Torq Cut - Things to watch out for?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia View Post
    So the air bleed at the spindle is part of the seal to keep swarf and coolant out of the bearings. here is a video of one of the designs...
    Cant answer the rest...

Richard
    Thanks Richard for the explanation! Cool feature. I assume they hold up well long term. Too bad they don't turn off when the spindle isn't running.

Marty