587,779 active members*
2,811 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Feeds and Speeds and Depth of Cut

How do you calculate feeds and speeds and how do you know what Depth of cut to use for those Feeds and Speeds Please any help would be greatly appreciated as i am burning through tools like they are water. My CAM software calculates the Feeds in IPM and the RPM of the Spindle but that doesn't tell me what Depth of Cut to use with those settings how do i figure this out

Hi Rod,
    Unfortunately, you just have not given enough information to even hazard a guess. There are many, many variables that come into play when deciding on a depth of cut.

A few of these are, material to cut, diameter, # flutes, style and quality of cutter, equipment, set up, roughing, finishing, to name a few.

Some resources that will help are machinist handbook, cutter manufacturers own cutting tool tables, and my favorite, http://mrainey.freeservers.com/MEPro.html.

Ken

I've posted this elsewhere on these boards- sorry for duplicating, but the nice chaps at http://www.lovejoytool.com/freestuff.htm have a downloadable calculator for all of that and will actualy send you a free slide rule calculator thingy.

[edit]I have no interests in the company other than they sent me a free calculator thing[/edit]
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by rodzilla View Post
    How do you calculate feeds and speeds and how do you know what Depth of cut to use for those Feeds and Speeds Please any help would be greatly appreciated as i am burning through tools like they are water. My CAM software calculates the Feeds in IPM and the RPM of the Spindle but that doesn't tell me what Depth of Cut to use with those settings how do i figure this out
    I wouldn't trust the feeds and speeds from your CAD system unless you had set them up yourself. One of the best places to look is in the tool catalog from your insert supplier. Just be aware that most of those times are based on a 15 minute tool life. You may want to slow the SFM down a bit to increase tool life.

daveallen Guest

Re: Feeds and Speeds and Depth of Cut

For a free trial of The Machinist Black Book email DaVicki-llc@outlook,com and put trial in the subject.
    Speed and Feed calculator for over 3000 materials and handy references for the machinist and programmer.