587,218 active members*
2,565 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

A visit to Novakon

Being in Toronto on business last week, I arranged to meet with John at the "factory". My NM200 has been having some minor issues that I attributed to the CD100 controller, so I took the opportunity to bring the controller with me. John diagnosed issues with the breakout board. As he no longer stocks that part, I ordered one from CNC4PC.com and had it shipped to John. When it arrives, he'll replace it and ship the unit back to me. It seems some of the input were dead on the board, which explains why the e-stop and reference switches didn't work. John also found that the cooling fan had stopped working, and he'll replace that as well. Despite these issues, the mill has worked well for me for the past 4 years.

John showed me a number of Torus and Pulsar machines being readied for shipment. He receives the bare machines from China and installs all the electronics himself in Toronto. In my view the wiring quality is thus much better quality and easier to check out than if it were to be done in China. He also stated that he is getting his shipments in smaller but more regular quantities. Thus 4 of each model per month instead of 8 of each every two months. Thus availability is better, and someone who orders a machine will get it shipped in very short order. In any case, he currently has plenty of inventory currently. He's also spending a lot of his time improving the documentation.

As an aside, I mentioned that I might be interested in selling my NM200 series-1 to purchase a Torus in the future. It is one of the tall column versions, so if anyone is interested in a machine with a lot of Z clearance let me know. John suggested that $7K would be a fair price.

Re: A visit to Novakon

Did you see my Torus Pro w/servos sitting there? It's waiting for the new stands to show up before it ships.

Would have been cool if you could have taken a little video tour.
    Thanks!
    Mike
    Don't have to be too bright to be me

Re: A visit to Novakon

I did see the Torus with servos as well as a Pulsar in for repair and another Torus just being started. It was interesting to see the difference in the servo drivers between the Pulsar and the Torus.

Got there late in the day. John is co-located with a shipping company which handles both sending out the customer machines and handling the import stuff for the China shipments. There is also warehousing for the machines awaiting their electronics.