587,829 active members*
3,073 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > How do you use Bobcad?

How do you use Bobcad?

I mostly do solids with Bobcad. We have Mazak mills and lathes so our 2D is covered by Mazatrol.

Version 21 has been such a great improvement on the post that I have spent more time redoing older code than I have new code. We are starting to change the way we use tooling and offsets so it is getting confusing working with the older stuff then working with new stuff.

I have started placing text in the top of the program to discribe the Bobcad version/date/tooling specs/file locations/part setups/etc.. Anyhow we also got a shop digital camera and a new CMM coming. We will be using PC-DMIS software on the new CMM and the solid modeling will fall right into the new way of doing things.

We are organizing our CAD/CAM files so they are central on a file server with automated backups. The files are arranged by Company (folder),Assembly-if any (folder), Part description/number (folder), Machining type-mill,lathe,edm,cmm(folder),CAD files,pictures,text files,CAM files (all in individual folder).

We use mostly Alibre for solid modeling and Bobcad for 3D machining.

The trick is to tie all info to one folder with Hyper-links to all files. After part is proven and all code, insp. report ECT. are done Place it all in an excel workbook with links. Save code as .TXT and drawing as DXF or .IGES. This way if you change software in 10 years all file will be able to open. Informational management is as important as the files themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by tjones
    I mostly do solids with Bobcad. We have Mazak mills and lathes so our 2D is covered by Mazatrol.

Version 21 has been such a great improvement on the post that I have spent more time redoing older code than I have new code. We are starting to change the way we use tooling and offsets so it is getting confusing working with the older stuff then working with new stuff.

I have started placing text in the top of the program to discribe the Bobcad version/date/tooling specs/file locations/part setups/etc.. Anyhow we also got a shop digital camera and a new CMM coming. We will be using PC-DMIS software on the new CMM and the solid modeling will fall right into the new way of doing things.

We are organizing our CAD/CAM files so they are central on a file server with automated backups. The files are arranged by Company (folder),Assembly-if any (folder), Part description/number (folder), Machining type-mill,lathe,edm,cmm(folder),CAD files,pictures,text files,CAM files (all in individual folder).

We use mostly Alibre for solid modeling and Bobcad for 3D machining.

Tjones,

I use almost the same methods with a filing system. One main Folder containes three folders. One for 2 Axis Lathe, One For 3 Axis Mill, and the other for Swiss type machines. Each Sub-Folder has more folders orginized by customer names/part numbers and a bitmap picture of each part and operation.

Looking at Mikes it looks like a good way of doing things. Though it might take months for me to convert over.

As for how, mainly 3D surfacing and modeling. Complex 3D machining is a bit difficult without CAD/CAM but not impossible. Still it has it's advantages and disadvantages like any Software.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com