587,173 active members*
3,584 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Printing, Scanners, Vinyl cutting and Plotters > Calcomp 3036, I can't get the computer and plotter to talk!

Exclamation Calcomp 3036, I can't get the computer and plotter to talk!

Hi there, I am new to this game and would like to explore the world of home use plotting, vinyl cutting, and laser etching. I purchased a "like brand new" Calcomp pen plotter on Craigslist for $50. The plotter came with all of the manuals, win. 3.0->95 drivers, loads of new pens, extra stepper motors, a new brain and all the extra stuff you could want!

My problem is that I don't know what software to use to have my computer (windows 7 IBM laptop) talk to the plotter. The plotter will turn on and will print the test page just fine, I have a 25pin to 25pin cord, and my laptop has a 25 pin print port (which is why I am using it instead of dusting off an old hunk o'junk). I am trying to run Google's Sketchup, as it is very versatile and cost effective, but I don't know how to print it from there.

Do I need to have some special software for it to print in the proper format? (replicatorG...?)
    When I tried to print a layout, in ".dxf" format I believe, the printer grabbed the pen, found center and just sat there a moment. After it thought for a second it reaced back to swap the pen and then racked it and went into standby mode.

I would be fine with using a different software program as long as I don't have to spend very much to get a decent one. I want to do some simple vector diagrams, lettering, and outlines is all.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Re: Calcomp 3036, I can't get the computer and plotter to talk!

Quote Originally Posted by kudos1007 View Post
    Hi there, I am new to this game and would like to explore the world of home use plotting, vinyl cutting, and laser etching. I purchased a "like brand new" Calcomp pen plotter on Craigslist for $50. The plotter came with all of the manuals, win. 3.0->95 drivers, loads of new pens, extra stepper motors, a new brain and all the extra stuff you could want!

My problem is that I don't know what software to use to have my computer (windows 7 IBM laptop) talk to the plotter. The plotter will turn on and will print the test page just fine, I have a 25pin to 25pin cord, and my laptop has a 25 pin print port (which is why I am using it instead of dusting off an old hunk o'junk). I am trying to run Google's Sketchup, as it is very versatile and cost effective, but I don't know how to print it from there.

Do I need to have some special software for it to print in the proper format? (replicatorG...?)
    When I tried to print a layout, in ".dxf" format I believe, the printer grabbed the pen, found center and just sat there a moment. After it thought for a second it reaced back to swap the pen and then racked it and went into standby mode.

I would be fine with using a different software program as long as I don't have to spend very much to get a decent one. I want to do some simple vector diagrams, lettering, and outlines is all.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance!
    So this could be very complicated or very simple. I've got one of these beasts to draw model aircraft plans with.

Just to get you started:

Use a parallel centronics connector. From the control panel device manager discover what the name of the parallel port is (lpt1,lpt2or lpt3?)

Using a program (such as inkscape), form a hpgl file /plt file. Open it with note pad and you'll see lots of basic hpgl commands. If you need a test file I can send you one.

Note the directory the file is in in your computer. Set the calcomp 3036 to HPGL (large format) mode using the 3036 set up button and routine,

then open a windows 7 command window from the accessories menu and type a command line - "type file.plt > lpt1" without the quotes and with the full file name and using lpt1 lpt2 or lpt3 as appropriate.

Put the 3036 on line and the .plt file will draw out. (at least it does for me)

You don't actually need a driver for this to work the plotter will take the .plt file and since it just contains characters windows 7 will type them to the parallel port.

If this works then you can (if your rich) use autocad, which still supports these old plotters to plot dxfs but be prepared to be patient in configuring autocad, or you can get a dxf to hpgl converter software.

Also I have tried using the generic hpgl/2 driver (in Windows XP) in vmplayer running Windows XP as a guest OS on top of windows 7 which works. I will explain this method to you if you want, but I've gone back to the simple method described above because of the complexity of this approach.

hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by John Holdsworth View Post
    So this could be very complicated or very simple. I've got one of these beasts to draw model aircraft plans with.

Just to get you started:

Use a parallel centronics connector. From the control panel device manager discover what the name of the parallel port is (lpt1,lpt2or lpt3?)

Using a program (such as inkscape), form a hpgl file /plt file. Open it with note pad and you'll see lots of basic hpgl commands. If you need a test file I can send you one.

Note the directory the file is in in your computer. Set the calcomp 3036 to HPGL (large format) mode using the 3036 set up button and routine,

then open a windows 7 command window from the accessories menu and type a command line - "type file.plt > lpt1" without the quotes and with the full file name and using lpt1 lpt2 or lpt3 as appropriate.

Put the 3036 on line and the .plt file will draw out. (at least it does for me)

You don't actually need a driver for this to work the plotter will take the .plt file and since it just contains characters windows 7 will type them to the parallel port.

If this works then you can (if your rich) use autocad, which still supports these old plotters to plot dxfs but be prepared to be patient in configuring autocad, or you can get a dxf to hpgl converter software.

Also I have tried using the generic hpgl/2 driver (in Windows XP) in vmplayer running Windows XP as a guest OS on top of windows 7 which works. I will explain this method to you if you want, but I've gone back to the simple method described above because of the complexity of this approach.

hope this helps
    Thank you very much! I was beginning to think my posting slipped into the "cold case files" of forum land. I will try this out this weekend and hopefully I will get a test print.

I have read that I can use adobe illustrator as a drawing software, and possibly to print from, but I have not heard how to save in the proper file format nor if I need a secondary software to translate to hpgl. I am trying to hunt down an old copy currently.
    I was trying to use sign go but I couldn't get it to function as a printing software. I will have to check out Inkscape.

Thanks a bunch!