587,853 active members*
3,611 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Will a single snapamp drive these servos?

Hi and howdy dudes, Michael from Birmingham, Alabama here. Great forum and the tech support from Tom is impressive. That and other considerations such as the cost of a suitable rotary phase converter have me considering replacing the antiquated servo drives and controls in a 1980 Matsuura MC500V with dynomotion products. I'm wondering if the Snapamp is suitable for the Cup Motor DC brushed servos on the X,Y and Z axis. Here are the specs from the data plate on the motors: 68 volts, continuous kw 0.4 , Instantaneous kw 2.0 ( I'm guessing this is stall wattage ?) continuous amps: 8 Instantaneous amps: 38 (stall amperage?) . The continuous ratings look like they are borderline compatible with running three of them on a single snapamp and a much smaller servo on the tool changer as the 4th output. The Yaskawa servo drives have separate DC power supplies for each servo, but if I understand the documentation correctly the snapamp only has one DC input for the A side and another for the B side which would make purchase of larger power supplies necessary if a single snapamp could drive all four servos. Anywho, It looks like a pair of snapamps would be needed here which is not a deal breaker as that would allow the existing power supplies to be used. Just want some expert input to verify. Thanks for the assistance, Michael.

Re: Will a single snapamp drive these servos?

Hi grammerman,

I would think that you could drive all 4 Brush motors with one SnapAmp. Your acceleration setting should determine how much peak current is required. If you find it to be marginal and wish to accelerate faster then you could add a second SnapAmp. SnapAmp has a feature to plot supply voltage so you can monitor how well that is doing also.

HTH
    Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com