587,086 active members*
3,049 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

C10 with KL4030 driver wiring instruction for Newbies

I had alot of problems understanding the wiring diagrams so after I got my hooked up I thought I would post it on here. I had to have help from someone who spent at least 5 hours on the phone with and couldnt of done it without him, thanks Jeff

KL 4030 to C10 BOB wiring
    X Axis or however you want to do it
    Take a short piece of wire and connect the PUL + to the DIR +
    Add another wire in the DIR + and connect it to the COM pin on the BOB
    PUL- goes to 2 pin on BOB
    DIR- goes to 3 pin on BOB

Y Axis
    PUL- goes to 4 pin on BOB
    DIR- goes to 5 pin on BOB

Z axis
    PUL- goes to 6 pin on BOB
    DIR- goes to 7 pin on BOB

If you dont have an E stop swith, take a short piece of wire and connect the 10 pin to 5volt next to it.

Jumper setting
    COM Jumper is set to pins 2 and 3
    Pins 2-9 jumper set to pins 1 and 2
    In/out jumper set to pins 1 and 2

You will also have to run a ground wire from you 36 volt power supply to BOB ground where you hooked up the 5 volt supply to it.

If anyone needs anymore help feel free to contact me and I will do my best,

I made this up a couple years ago now LOL...
    Just reinforces what you've wrote... I like pictures

Thank you very much for posting this.

I would really like it if the manufactures of these products would provide such simple and informative setup diagrams

Would you guys running this setup care to post other details about your system? I have the same components, wiring is correct,
    running Mach 3, have tried Vista laptop and just bought an XP desktop, but still cannot get more than a grind/buzz from the
    motors or very weak rotation. I have gone through entire system w/multimeter, everything checks out, but still no love from
    the motors. I have tried custom tuning in Mach 3 and also copied the .xml for my kit from Automation Technologies. I am
    hoping it is just a setting in Mach3, but I am fighting w/a PCI parallel card in case the mobo parallel port is a problem, and
    other than that I am out of ideas.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by aequis View Post
    Would you guys running this setup care to post other details about your system? I have the same components, wiring is correct,
    running Mach 3, have tried Vista laptop and just bought an XP desktop, but still cannot get more than a grind/buzz from the
    motors or very weak rotation. I have gone through entire system w/multimeter, everything checks out, but still no love from
    the motors. I have tried custom tuning in Mach 3 and also copied the .xml for my kit from Automation Technologies. I am
    hoping it is just a setting in Mach3, but I am fighting w/a PCI parallel card in case the mobo parallel port is a problem, and
    other than that I am out of ideas.

Any help is greatly appreciated
    By "the same components", do you mean KL-4030 drivers, 36-volt power supply, C10, and KL23H286-20-8B motors, or do you have something different?

The KL23H286-20-8B motor has a fairly high inductance and is not well matched to the KL-4030 driver, but it should work. How do you have the motor wired? The KL23H286-20-8B has 8 wires, and so it could be wired for a bipolar series or bipolar parallel hookup. In this case, bipolar parallel would be the recommended way to hook it up.

How do you have the DIP switches set on the KL-4030? Is it possible that you have set them "upside down"?

doorknob, yes those very same components.

I have the motors wired for bipolar parallel:
    red/wht blu/wht to A+
    red blu to A-
    blk/wht grn/wht B+
    blk grn to B-

The upside down DIP switch trick got me on this one! I was able to get the motor to
    move (reliably) last night, but it seems very finicky. Any suggestions for Mach 3
    motor settings? And, are the motors highly sensitive to small velocity and acceleration
    changes? I am guessing part of the problem could also be a poor match btw the motor
    and that driver, would a Gecko or some other driver be a better choice?

I don't have any suggestion for Mach 3 settings, but maybe someone else on this thread might.

Are you running the motors without a load, or are they hooked up to leadscrews or other load? If they are not driving a load, you might want to try them under load.

A driver that can handle a higher voltage (and a corresponding power supply - perhaps in the 70 to 80 volt range) would be better matched to the motor.

It appears DIP switch position is not my problem and neither is a no load
    condition for the motors. Installed CNC Fusion hard parts and motors, checked
    connections again, but the motors will not go. I will put up pictures of the
    components in next post, any and all help appreciated.

Potential issues already addressed:
    windows XP w/PP set to EPP in bios
    E stop set to active low
    went from no step (000) to 1/64 step w/no change in motor function
    KL 4030 driver set to 3.0V and 2.7V w/o change in motor function
    pin for pin checked out on parallel cable
    motors are wired correctly for bipolar
    C10 BoB has external PS, verified w/MM

It appears DIP switch position is not my problem and neither is a no load
    condition for the motors. Installed CNC Fusion hard parts and motors, checked
    connections again, but the motors will not go. I will put up pictures of the
    components in next post, any and all help appreciated.

Potential issues already addressed:
    windows XP w/PP set to EPP in bios
    E stop set to active low
    went from no step (000) to 1/64 step w/no change in motor function
    pin for pin checked out on parallel cable
    motors are wired correctly for bipolar
    C10 BoB has external PS, verified w/MM

Could your step pulse timing be too short? Have you tried "Sherline mode" to see if it makes a difference in the behavior? Maybe set the driver to 1/4 stepping or 1/8 stepping while doing those tests, if you haven't already done them.

I have not asked you about the next part previously, since you said that you did see some weak rotation from the motors, which would imply that the step and direction signals are getting through all the way to the drivers from Mach3 through the parallel port, cable, and C10, but in the interest of completeness it would be a good test to perform.

You mentioned earlier that you had gone through the system with a multimeter.

It would be good to use the multimeter to verify at least one further set of tests. If you measure the voltage between the DIR- pin of each of the axes (right at the driver's terminal screw) and ground (on the C10) as you use Mach3 to first jog each axis in one direction and then in the other direction, do you see that voltage as close to +5 volts in one direction and 0 volts in the other direction? And you have verified that the DIR+ pin of each axis is at a steady +5 volts?

I'm not sure that I understand that statement. How did you set the driver to 3.0V and 2.7V?

Thanks to everyone for trying to troubleshoot my problem...phone call from user jalessi
    finally narrowed it down...faulty power supply. I connected an 18V cordless drill battery,
    and everything worked fine. So far, Automation Technologies has been great, exchange on
    old PS for new seems to be painless, will be relief when it gets here and I can move to
    other headaches (:

@doorknob, what I meant was I tried both 2.7V and 3.0V settings on controller in feeble
    attempt to isolate a problem.

Follow up...PS arrived today, bench wired system and bingo! everything is working.